English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+6
erikajunge
HeatherClayton
tylerhenige
Breanne Zuziak
ashleyoglesby
courtniesanmiguel
10 posters

No one likes mosquitoes

courtniesanmiguel

No one likes mosquitoes Empty No one likes mosquitoes

Post  courtniesanmiguel Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/16/mosquito.laser.weapon/index.html

This article is talking about how there was recently a laser gun created to fry mosquitoes on the spot in hopes to prevent the spread of malaria. Apparently if can sense the frequency created by the beating of the mosquitoes wings. I found this article interesting because my dad actually has malaria, but it is also kind of funny that the scientists are referred to as star wars scientists and the laser gun is a “weapon of mosquito destruction”. That is very cleaver. I agree that no one would miss mosquitoes. Lots of people die from the diseases they spread on a regular basis. If this laser gun really is all they claim it is and doesn’t effect other animals, insects or the environment then I think it will turn out to be a very good thing. People with malaria suffer and in some countries where people are untreated they end up dying from this disease. I also think it is great that such a big name (Bill Gates) funded this project because most of the malaria cases are in other countries. While America is very focused on our current problem of Cancer (which is good), it was nice to hear that something so important to other cultures is being researched. I wonder if they will charge ridiculous amounts of money for the gun making it useless or if they will send people to laser the mosquitoes? The future is scary I guess.
    ashleyoglesby

No one likes mosquitoes Empty Re: No one likes mosquitoes

Post  ashleyoglesby Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 pm

I think that it is a cool idea that people are finding ways to stop the spread of diseases. I do everything to try not to get a cold. I wash my hands after class, and before I eat something. But using the laser gun from star wars to kill mosquitoes, that is a new one for me. I also believe that Bill Gates was very grateful of giving money to help support that caused of the new technology. The economy is very bad out there so I know for sure that a lot more people chip in to help this idea.
    Breanne Zuziak

Post  Breanne Zuziak Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 am

I think that this invention is a wonderful idea. Mosquitoes have always been such a pain in the butt in the summer and even worse now that they can carry around malaria. I also find it funny that they refer to it as star wars scientist. I also agree that a lot of people do focus on cancer which is a good thing because there are so many different kinds and problems with cancer it is nice to see something else being focused on. I hope that it works and will take away those pesky mosquitoes away and keep people free from malaria.
    tylerhenige

No one likes mosquitoes Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 am

This is an interesting and possibly a good idea. The only problem is we have to be careful when we’re talking about destroying a species. Maybe mosquitoes are on the planet for a good reason. What if we wipe out mosquitoes and a bigger problem arises. Usually a species is needed to keep an environment balanced. I definitely agree that the world would be better without mosquitoes. The diseases that they spread are horrible. If these laser guns are decided to be used they must be used caution. Hopefully there are no side effects. This world is having enough problems already we don’t need any more.
    HeatherClayton

No one likes mosquitoes Empty Laser gun

Post  HeatherClayton Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 pm

I for one believe that this invention is amazing. Hopefully soon the mosquito population will die down. I definitely will not miss the buzzing noise in my ear when sitting around the camp fire. I also think it's great that people are considering things that are actually important topics in other countries. I like the fact that someone is trying to do something to slow down the spread of malaria. Why anyone didn't think of this sooner I have no idea. A laser gun is a pretty brilliant idea to take care of them.
    erikajunge

Post  erikajunge Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:56 am

i think this is a really great idea. Of course nobody likes mosquitoes! what do they really even do for society anyways? All they do is bring diseases and suck peoples bloods! Thats even cooler that Bill Gates is the person funding this project, its great to see him involved in situations like this, and anything that can help health problems within our country and others will be greatly beneficial. Hopefully though this laser gun will be used for all the right reasons, and not eventually be placed in the wrong hands that starts to do damage on others- who knows... people are a little weird sometimes!
    reneeczekai

Post  reneeczekai Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:47 pm

I saw this the other day. I'm allergic to mosquitoes and I wouldn't care if they were gone. I think this is a great invention. The laser gun is a pretty good idea. And there are a lot of people that die from the diseases that mosquitoes carry with them. The "star wars scientists" that's great. I just hope that it would work and that there isn't any side effects.
    brandonking01

No one likes mosquitoes Empty Mosquitos

Post  brandonking01 Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:39 pm

I think that this is a great idea. I cannot stand mosquito bites. I am outdoors all summer and I hate lathering my body up with stinky bug repellent. I have tried almost every idea out there to try and eliminate mosquitos. The candles don’t work, nor do the trucks that come by and spray, so hopefully this new technology will work. I also think that Bill Gates is a very is a generous for funding these studies. I have also head he donates for all sorts of charities and volunteers to help with causes here in America and other countries.
    TerynSwan

No one likes mosquitoes Empty no one likes mosquitoes

Post  TerynSwan Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:22 pm

This would be a very good thing if scientists could actually make this work. My brother is allergic to mosquitoes, and it gets bad when he gets bite multiples times in one night. They swell up majorly and he itches uncontrollably for weeks after he has gotten bite. This would help him and many other people to be able to enjoy the outdoors alittle bit more. No one does like mosquitoes, and I definitely along with many others wouldn't be sad to see them go. They do nothing for us besides take our blood, make us itch, and possibly give us diseases when they do bite us.
    CoryHearns

Post  CoryHearns Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:11 am

All I can say about this is “finally.” Mosquitoes are such pests! Whenever I am at campfires I always hear people jokingly tell their friends that they “wish some laser thing could just kill all these blood-suckers!” But now that wish might be coming true, although I have to wonder what kinds of radiation could have an effect on people if the laser is shooting all these mosquitoes it seems like that would be a lot of laser particles going around. Are laser particles that could be harmful really worth the mass murder of all those mosquitoes. Also, that line about calling it a “weapon of mosquito destruction” was clever.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm