English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Alaskans don masks as once-sleepy volcano spews ash

reneeczekai

Alaskans don masks as once-sleepy volcano spews ash Empty Alaskans don masks as once-sleepy volcano spews ash

Post  reneeczekai Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm

A volcano in southern Alaska erupted anew Monday, the fifth eruption since coming back to life Sunday night. The eruptions at Mount Redoubt sent columns of white smoke tens of thousands of feet into the air above the snow-covered peak. It also raised concern about ash fallout in towns near the volcano. In Port Alsworth, where about 100 people live year-round, Mark Lang, 56, said that everyone is staying inside. n Anchorage, about 100 miles from the volcano, residents were getting ready for ash. "All the masks and filters were sold out in two days," said Abi Seaver, 19, of Anchorage. Redoubt was last active in 1989, when eruptions lasted for five months, USGS geophysicist John Power said at an early morning news conference Monday. The USGS estimated the height of the eruption cloud at 50,000 feet and warned that mudflows were possible on the Drift and Crescent rivers, and ashfall was likely near and downwind from the volcano. On Sunday, researchers had raised the monitoring status for the volcano, which had been showing increased seismic activity. Officials had predicted an eruption "within days to weeks."

Alaska volcano erupts five times
    ashleyoglesby

Alaskans don masks as once-sleepy volcano spews ash Empty Re: Alaskans don masks as once-sleepy volcano spews ash

Post  ashleyoglesby Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Wow that is sad; I was just watching a TV show that was talking about volcanoes. In for that to happen in a matter of weeks, that is crazy. I just don’t know to say. I feel very sorry for those people. I feel that people should not have to pay for a face mask. I think those should be given out for free. I really how this tragic; does not last for five months like the last time. It seems like is it is back to back now will all those people are dying, First the hurricanes, then tornados, now volcanoes.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:50 pm