English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+3
Breanne Zuziak
TerynSwan
tsugden
7 posters

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery.

tsugden

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery.

Post  tsugden Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Robin Williams is recovering at a hospital in Cleveland, Ohio, after undergoing heart surgery 10 days ago. The actor's doctors issued a statement Monday saying he is expected to make a complete recovery from surgery to replace an aortic valve at the Cleveland Clinic. He was forced to cancel a tour of his one-man comedy show, Weapons of Self-Destruction earlier this month. He had been experiencing shortness of breath.
    He was initially treated at the University of Miami hospital before being moved to Cleveland where surgeons replaced an aortic valve, repaired a mitral valve and corrected an irregular heartbeat. I think Robin Williams is hilarious and an amazing actor so it's good to hear that he will be okay. It's always sad to hear about people having illness issues whether they are famous or not. I hope he recovers fully and can get back to making audiences laugh soon.

Robin Williams Heart Surgery
    TerynSwan

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery

Post  TerynSwan Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 pm

I am very surprised to hear that Robin Williams is in the hospital recovering from heart surgery. Normally when some actor or actress is having a fight with their spouse it is reported immediately to the public by some form of media, let alone when it is something major like heart surgery. This article is the first time that I have heard anything about him going under surgery due to a heart problem. This is something that a lot of people have to go through all the time, but I guess it just seems like a really big deal when it is some famous person. It just seems like someone that "perfect" in the eyes of the public would end up with something like a heart problem.
    Breanne Zuziak

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Re: Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery.

Post  Breanne Zuziak Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 pm

I am surprised that I did not hear of Robin Williams undergoing heart surgery sooner for such a big star that he has been. That is good to hear that he is expected to make a complete recovery. Some of those heart surgeries are very hard to recover from. I wonder since he is a comedian if it will affect him in that way at all. My step-father had to go through heart surgery and after he had it his humor wasn’t always the same. He is still a pretty funny guy but after the surgery he became more vulnerable to things. When I asked my mom about that she had said she heard that it had been known to affect some people’s humor afterwards.
    michellewalker

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Heart Surgery

Post  michellewalker Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 pm

Robin Williams has been making me laugh since "Mork and Mindy". He has always been an energetic and hillarious guy.

A sense of humor is helpful in the recovery of any patient. Because of this, I believe that Robin Williams will recover very well from his surgery. In one article I read that he began joking with the medical staff shortly after waking up. He is a young man at 57 and should tolerate the recovery well.

Most patients go home within 8 days after open heart surgery. (In our hospital, patients are out of bed the next day!) He had an aortic valve replaced, so he would have been on a bypass pump for a while during the procedure, and this sometimes lengthens recovery time.

It is interesting to note that Barbara Bush who is 83 also had her aortic valve replaced this month. I would like to share the video report of her surger with you because the doctor interviewed has included a bit of information on the future of heart surgery.

heart surgery video
    Sethobrien

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Response to RW heart surgery

Post  Sethobrien Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:36 pm

I am glad to hear that he is expected to recover completely after his surgery. Growing up I have always liked the movies that he has played in. Robin Williams was my favorite actor to watch. Movies like “Jack” and “Patch Adams”. He was a truly gifted actor and was pretty funny. I haven’t really heard of him doing anything since that movie about robots or something like that. In my BIO153 class we are learning about the heart right now and about all of the valves. I would have to say heart surgery would be in my top five for scariest surgeries.
    CoryHearns

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Re: Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery.

Post  CoryHearns Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:23 pm

That is really good to hear that he is recovering although I agree with some of the others who left comments here that it is strange that this story is not as widely known. It really breaks away the façade of fame because a lot of times people forget that celebrities are actually normal people who face normal problems such as heart attacks. I really hope that he makes it out of his recovery with the ability to continue to bring joy to all of his fans. Hopefully his role in Patch Adams will have given the strength to let him get better with a smile.
    tylerhenige

Robin Williams recovering from heart surgery. Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:53 pm

This is new news to me. I did not even know that Robin Williams was having heart problems. And I was also unaware that he had surgery to fix his aortic valve. I wonder how I missed this story on the news or on the internet. I usually keep my eyes open for stories that interest me, like this one. I think Robin Williams is hilarious. I hope that he can make a full recovery and can back to his good ole ways. He is funny by being unconventional and that is what I like about him the most. Hopefully he is back soon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 pm