English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

Will bad credit keep you from your dream job?

WillyAnderson

Will bad credit keep you from your dream job? Empty Will bad credit keep you from your dream job?

Post  WillyAnderson Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 pm

When getting ready for an interview for a new job most people are stressed about making sure their resume is perfect, or that all their previous employers information is correct for them to contact for a good reference. They might also know that they will be going through a criminal background check. It’s very important to people to look and present their very best when facing those nervous interviews.
    Now to add to the stress of an interview in its self people are having to go through a credit check by their potential employer. Any mistake a person makes rather it’s not understanding the full responsibilities of credit or credit cards in college or relocating to a new city, or even just plain economy is tough and not paying bills on time or even completely missing a payment could potentially hurt your chances of landing yourself a great job!
    This article also gives some great tips on how to prepare you for an interview where the potential employer will be reviewing your credit background. They suggest that you get a copy of your credit report so there isn’t any surprise and you’ll be able to explain the reason for the negative mark. They also suggest you keep your reason short and sweet and explain to them how you have learned from this situation.
    I personally don’t agree with this as being part of a job interview. I don’t feel that someone’s credit will affect how they perform their job or their strong talents that could benefit their company. It kind of feels like it is a form of discrimination, that someone’s mistakes will always detour them from moving on and bettering themselves
    http://content.comcast.monster.com/job-search-essentials/finance/Bad-Credit-Can-Spell-Job-Search-Woe/home.aspx?WT.mc_n=comcast007
    ashleyoglesby

Will bad credit keep you from your dream job? Empty Re: Will bad credit keep you from your dream job?

Post  ashleyoglesby Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 pm

I think the same thing Will, why does a person credit have to do with them getting a job. The employer does not know if that person was a victim of identity theft are not, so why should it matter. To me having bad credit is a sign of a person who tried to at least pay the bills and could not do it. That is why they are getting a better job. I know I cannot say that for all people, because there are some people that don’t pay their bills. I was always told that your history can hurt you in the future. I still believe that credit scores should not be a part of a job interview not matter what the problem shall be.
    pamelanadzan

Will bad credit keep you from your dream job? Empty Re: Will bad credit keep you from your dream job?

Post  pamelanadzan Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:16 pm

I also agree. How will the countless single mothers like myself get a decent job when an ex-spouse has left them in debt from excursions gambling or to bars. It doesn't seem right does it? I guess all that you could do is to go to the interview and tell the truth. I think that they would be able to tell if you were being genuine.
    k-augustine

Post  k-augustine Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 pm

I don't believe your credit score should be part of your interview. On the other hand they are probably looking at it as being responsible. If you have a bad credit score does not necessary mean you are not a hard worker or irresponsilbe. Like one of the respondants said it is very difficult being a single mom and being left with a lot of debt. There are days I think I can't keep up with everything anymore. On the other hand I want to have a good credit score.
    brandonking01

Will bad credit keep you from your dream job? Empty Credit scoring interview

Post  brandonking01 Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 pm

I really hate to be the one who says this, but I sort of agree with some places doing credit checks prior to hiring. It really depends on the job though. Take a police officer for example. Police officers are prone to bribes and payoffs. If I was a police officer who was 100k in debt, I would most likely accept bribes. On the other hand, if I was applying for a job at McDonalds I would not expect them to run a credit check. I also believe that you can tell certain things about a person by running a credit check. For example, what the majority of their debt is from. Are they in debt from gambling? I would not want to hire a person that gambles past the point of being responsible. Do they have medical bills? If they have outstanding medical bills they may have an outstanding medical condition, one that may prevent them from being the best man for the job.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:48 pm