English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

Second Chances

michellewalker

Second Chances Empty Second Chances

Post  michellewalker Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:48 pm

A convicted child killer has been taken in by a pastor and his family. In 1973, Raymond Guay shot a 12 year old boy, in Nashua. Please read the following quote from the article:

"Guay already had a criminal record when he was charged in 1973, at age 25, with abducting and murdering a 12-year-old boy in Nashua. Authorities said he planned to sexually assault the boy, whose body was clad only in socks and undershorts.

Guay pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to up to 25 years. He kidnapped a Concord couple after briefly escaping from the nearby state prison in 1982 and was sent to a federal prison in California, where he stabbed an inmate in 1991, court records show."

The 60 year old parolee was taken in by a pastor in Chichester, NH. The pastor, his wife and 5 children are allowing Guay to live in their basement. The pastor has stated that he believes that Guay has changed and is truly repentant and is now living a Christian life.

The townspeople are up in arms and have threatened to burn down the house of the pastor. The neighbors state that their children are terrified and cannot sleep.

I do not condone violence, but I think I understand how the town feels. I would not want someone who had brutally killed a child to live in my neighborhood. I personally believe that anyone who murders or commits a crime of a heinous nature against a child should not be allowed to be paroled. They should be allowed the privilege of living in jail for the rest of their natural lives. But that is just my opinion....what do you think?

Convicted and Paroled, A Child Killer Finds a Home
    tsugden

Second Chances Empty Re: Second Chances

Post  tsugden Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 pm

I totally agree with the people of the town. I think that if I were in the same situation that I would not be happy about it at all. I'm kind of an "eye for an eye" kind of person when it comes to crimes like these. I definitely don't think he should get out. It's obvious from his record that he doesn't care about anyone. I think he is just trying to fool everyone around him into thinking he's a changed man. I guess only time will tell.
    dianekerkau

Post  dianekerkau Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:30 pm

I think alot of people are going to agree. That is great that Guay thinks he has transformed from child killer to a christian. He has had a lot of time for reading. This does not change the fact of what he did along with his other convictions. I too, am an eye for an eye person, especially when it involves children. The Pastor is only doing what he thinks is right, but he has to remember that his own children could be at risk along with neighbors. How would that Pastor feel if something happened to a child in the neighborhood all because he let this man into his home and his life. I think Guay is just sorry he was caught and playing the "I found Jesus" card to get someone to take care of him. So where is his own family? They probably do not trust him either. I really do not think it is right for the Pastor to bring him into his home without thinking how this could affect others.
    reneeczekai

Post  reneeczekai Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:26 pm

I think that there are a lot of people out there that live near us and had some kind of encounter with the law. I agree with the people that live in the same town. I wouldn't want to live near them. I really don't know if people change but I would guess in this kind of situation that he wouldn't change. I think that he would try to be nice and try to make people see that he is a different person and would never do that again....but I don't know....I probably wouldn't trust them. It all depends on the person I guess.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:54 am