English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Stevia, 300 times the sweetness!

courtniesanmiguel

Stevia, 300 times the sweetness! Empty Stevia, 300 times the sweetness!

Post  courtniesanmiguel Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 pm

http://www.NaturalNews.com/025947.html

This article is about a sweetener called stevia. This article said that stevia is derived from a plant and has about 300 times the sweetness of sugar but doesn’t have calories and does not affect blood sugar levels. The FDA put a ban on importing stevia and prohibits the use of it unless it is in a product labeled as nutritional supplements. They say that it is safe to consume daily in small amounts and I think that if it is a lot sweeter than sugar than you would use less so not consuming large amounts of stevia would be an easy thing to do. There are a lot of things out there approved by the FDA. I know that the milk that most people drink everyday is made from cows that are injected with hormones and antibiotics; milk approved by the FDA. Because milk containes antibiotics, we are becoming more and more immune to them and things like infections and diseases are getting harder to cure. Also, since there are hormones in milk, the average age for young girls to get puberty is lower than it has ever been. (This info is from a movie I just watched in my sociology class The Corporation, and it is very interesting the other things they found!) I just think it is silly that the FDA doesn’t want to approve something that is better for us and since you need less, a little bit of stevia would last a long time saving money in the long run.
    CoryHearns

Stevia, 300 times the sweetness! Empty Re: Stevia, 300 times the sweetness!

Post  CoryHearns Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:04 am

Yeah I agree with your, if it really is safe and works better than sugar, why aren't we already using it. I did actually hear about one of my friends watching that movie too, they told me about it and really changed my perspective on Milk and now I think it is really gross and I only drink it with cereal because I still need to drink it with cereal since it is so good. We should start a petition to the FDA to let us have Stevia so that we could reduce the amount of sugar we take in. Sometimes I think the FDA wants us to be unhealthy.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 5:00 am