English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

flooded north dakota stares down snow storm

TerynSwan

flooded north dakota stares down snow storm Empty flooded north dakota stares down snow storm

Post  TerynSwan Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 pm

Recently North Dakota had been flooded that caused the Red River to be overflow and levees needing to be set up. After this happened then a major snow storm was expected to hit on Monday sometime. It was supposed to bring a half a foot of snow along with high winds that could create big waves in the red river. The snow wasnt expected to be what made the flooding worse, it was the wind creating the big waves. Sheets of plastic were put on and around the levees to ensure that they reman in place and keep doing the job that they were placed there in the first place to do. The storm seemed to be letting up and the water had went down almost a foot when they had last checked it. Reports say that the people of the area wont breathe a sigh of relief until they know for sure that the flooding has stopped and the water in the river has gone down atleast a few more feet. A woman in the article talked about how she constantly lives paycheck to paycheck and right now she isn't getting a paycheck at all. They are stuck in there houses and they cant get paid or even get there checks. She is hoping that something is done soon, or she won't be able to survive. I can't believe that it is spring already and people are still having to worry about snow storms making things worse. I would have hoped that by now the snow would be gone, and all that we would have left to worry about is rainy days.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/30/national/main4902314.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories
    HeatherClayton

flooded north dakota stares down snow storm Empty Re: flooded north dakota stares down snow storm

Post  HeatherClayton Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:01 pm

I was really surprised when I heard about this on the news. The first time I saw it I just though "oh it's just another flood" and then I heard about it the next day and the day after and it seemed to be more than that. Then I heard about it through my work. We print magazines and then ship them out and because of the flooding a bunch of our deliveries either arrived late because of detours or still haven't made it. We are losing A LOT of money because of this. I hope it all settles real soon. I would hate to see more people not have enough money to pay bills just because of a flood.

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:35 am