English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage

tsugden

Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage Empty Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage

Post  tsugden Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Afghanistan's top diplomat in Ottawa says lawmakers in Kabul are reviewing legislation that critics say legalizes rape within a marriage. Human rights groups and some Afghan politicians have said the 263-page legislative document would make it illegal for Shiite women to refuse sex from their husbands. The law has caused international outrage. I think no matter what culture or country you are from this sounds rediculous. I can believe something like this would actually pass into an actual law. I think too many groups will oppose this and it will get shot down. But just the fact that it has made it this far is crazy.

Afghanistan 'rape' law
    HeatherClayton

Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage Empty Re: Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage

Post  HeatherClayton Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:54 pm

This has to be one of the dumbest laws to ever be thought of. Some sick people had to think something like this up. I would like to see how these men felt if they couldn't refuse sex from their wives and it was legal to rape them. People don't understand how things like this can completely ruin a persons life. It's horrible to know that something like this could actually be passed. And like you said...it's horrible to think that it even made it this far. Why would anyone think it is okay to let things like this happen. It's disgusting.
    michellewalker

Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage Empty Afganistan

Post  michellewalker Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm

As you said, I hope this law gets shot down before it actually becomes a law. The article says that the recognition of the Shia seems to be sacrificing women and children, and I believe that is a accurate assessment.

It is difficult for us in this country to believe that this would ever even be included in a bill in an attempt to make it a law. In accordance with their culture however, the article states that women also should get permission from their husbands before leaving the house. Insane.

Sponsored content

Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage Empty Re: Afgan Legislative May Legalize Rape In Marriage

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:49 am