English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

20,000 text in a month?

WillyAnderson

20,000 text in a month? Empty 20,000 text in a month?

Post  WillyAnderson Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:25 am

Are you in too texting on your mobile phone? Well a thirteen year old girl in Cheyenne, Wyoming named Dena who was text messaging excessively had sent 20,000 texts in about a month’s time. I can’t even phantom sending this many texts but it seems to become more and more common to hear about people sending extremely huge amounts of text messages. Dena didn’t have text messaging on her phone so when her parents had gotten their phone bill they where shocked when it was almost five thousand dollars. Her father then was so angry he smashed her phone and grounded her. It was also stated that the phone company was working with them to bring the phone bill to a reasonable amount. I guess this article didn’t surprise me because we see people on TV or in articles like this at times gloating about how many text messages they sent in a month’s time but it brings up a few things that are kind of bothersome to me. I wonder why these thirteen and sometimes even younger kids have cell phones. I never had a phone that young and have turned out just fine, yes I probably didn’t have as much freedom, but my parents had always knew where I was. It also makes me think about how we rely on phones and computers as sources of communication, which kind of hurts how people become social and could lead into other issues. http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20090412/ODD.Phone.Bill/
    CoryHearns

20,000 text in a month? Empty Re: 20,000 text in a month?

Post  CoryHearns Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:07 am

That sure is a whole lot of texting in one month. If my inbox of 80 messages fills up within a couple of days I feel like I’m texting a lot. I really don’t think that all these young kids should be allowed to text so much, I think it could really hurt their social skills if they start to put more emphasis on texting than on actually talking to their friends. Texts can also be severely misinterpreted by both parties involved and if kids are still strengthening their social skills they shouldn’t be allowed to use such uninvolved and detached methods.
    Sethobrien

20,000 text in a month? Empty response to phone bill

Post  Sethobrien Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 am

Wow... 20,000 text messages in a month! I don't even come close to that many text messages in a year. I can see why her father grounded her, I think that I would have done more then just ground her and break her phone. I also think that it is funny that you can pay and extra ten dollars a month and get unlimited texting. I know what you mean about people gloating about how many text that they send in a month, there was a girl on Room Raiders on MTV and on her episode she was talking about how she sends over seven hundred text messages. I guess when you’re still in school, that that is what you would be doing in class. I know that I wish I would have had a phone before my senior year so that I didn’t have to pay attention to what was going on.
    erikajunge

Post  erikajunge Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:28 am

wow, yea 20,000 texts is alot of texting! I dont think I even know that many people to send so many text messages too. It's kind of weird though that she didn't even know that her phone didnt have unlimited/free texting. You would think someone would at least ask their parents if they do, by at least the 1000 text. I feel real bad for her parents though! That bill was outrageous. As for how everybody communicates these days, yea it is sad that it likes nobody even knows how to funtion or survive without their cell phones anymore. Then on top of that not only do we solely communicate though a cell phone, but that percentage of actually speaking through one is decreasing, and everybody is converting to texting.
    tylerhenige

20,000 text in a month? Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:19 am

I agree with Cory’s response. I think people are going to lose their social skills. It is not necessary for people to text all the time. Most of time when people text they have to send a bunch of messages that solve one conversation. When actually calling the person or meeting with the person would solve the whole thing in 2 minutes. I do not have a problem with people texting, but I do not have texting on my phone and I get by just fine. The only problem that I really have with texting is when people do it while they are driving!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:17 am