English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary

michellewalker

10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary Empty 10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary

Post  michellewalker Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 pm

There was a service and rally today in Littleton Colorado. The service was a memorial to the 12 students and a teacher who died at Columbine when two seniors at the school went on a killing spree using guns and pipe bombs. In addtion to those killed, 23 were wounded. The death toll would have been far higher if they had been successful with the other bomb they had tried to explode in the crowded cafeteria had not failed to detonate. The students subsequently committed suicide. Oprah Winfrey canceled her show about Columbine because she felt it focused too much on the gunman and not on the students and faculty of the school. Many family members of the victims attended but did not address the crowd. The focus of the rally was on gun control.

I remember this tragic day and am sympathetic to those who have suffered. The young people who were there that day no doubt suffered from survivors guilt. The families of the victims probably cannot pass the school without their hearts aching. We should all take a moment to remember.

Columbine
    dkerkau

10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary Empty Re: 10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary

Post  dkerkau Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 pm

It is hard to believe it has been 10 years already. Since that time there has been several "copy cat" type killing sprees in other schools that is devasting also. Yes, that day could have been a lot worse with more deaths and more lives ruined at the hands of two kids that thought it would be fun to do this. They both took the coward way out by committing suicide with no sense of remorse or repense. There were a lot of heros that day and they should also be remembered. I am sure driving by the school for the survivors and grieving family members is heartbreaking. You look to your kid's school to be a safe haven and nowadays they really aren't anymore. Acts of violence like this takes away the innocence of all kids. Prayers are going out to all involved and who are affected by this tremendous loss.
    Breanne Zuziak

10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary Empty Re: 10 years ago today - Columbine anniversary

Post  Breanne Zuziak Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:31 pm

It is really hard to believe that Columbine happened 10 years ago already. I remember it was when I was in fourth grade a day after my birthday. It is such a sad and tragic story. Too many innocent people were killed that day along with too many wounded. I wish there could have been a way to stop those young men from doing that disastrous thing. After Columbine I remember all the local high schools in the area were also receiving bomb threats. On day there was said to be one at the local high school and I remember crying in my class when I found out. My mom works in the high school and I was afraid something might happen to her. I had just lost my father the year before and I didn’t know what I would do if I had lost my mother too. It is so sad and I wish that the teens that think about doing things like that can get some help before making a move on their actions.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:10 am