English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Sample Blog

niestermika

Sample Blog Empty Sample Blog

Post  niestermika Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am

http://www.emagazine.com/view/?4186
    Response to “Bottled Water Backlash Environmental Concerns are Sending People Back to Their Taps,” published in E Magazine.

This article taps into one of the largest guilts that eat away at my conscience, bottled water. It is, like so many things in our country, a crime of convenience. I am not a fan of plain ol’ tap water. But I am instantly drawn to the exotic flavors of brands like lifewater—yumberry twist, pomegranate punch, goji electric lemonade (okay, I’m making those names up, more proof of my mindless consumption, I don’t even know the flavors). There’s the myriad of justifications, mostly revolving around my crazy schedule and the desire to cling to one of the few treats my lifestyle allows. However, this article has reminded me of just how harmful this habit is. One point I found especially thought-provoking is the a-ha moment described by a store manager who “sat down and calculated how far the 25,000 bottles of sparkling Italian spring water he ordered had to travel through the air. ‘It really does not make sense to ship from all around the world when you have such good water in your backyard,’ he says. ‘You have to think about the carbon imprint you’re making there.’” I used to think that as long as I recycled my water bottles it wasn’t a terrible environmental sin, but I never considered the effect of shipping those bottles. In addition to the effects of shipping, the article states, “ It takes 15 million barrels of oil per year to make all of the plastic water bottles in America, according to the Container Recycling Institute.”
    http://www.emagazine.com/view/?4186
    tylerhenige

Sample Blog Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:47 am

You’re right about sending bottles of water all over the place when we have water everywhere. I never realized that reusing plastic bottles can cause a lot of damage to your body. 15 million barrels of oil to produce the water bottles in America, wow. That is a lot of oil to be used on making plastic bottles. But the problem is bottled water is just so much more convenient. Bottled water is available basically anywhere you go. I don’t have to carry another thing when I walk out the door in the morning because I can buy bottled water at the place I’m going to. It’s just easier.

Tyler Henige
    Sethobrien

Sample Blog Empty Response

Post  Sethobrien Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:12 am

They always have commercials on TV about how long plastic bottles spend in a land fills. I never knew how much oil it takes to make all of these bottles. I'm not really a bottled water drinker, I heard that Bay City water is supposed to be good for you because of how much floride they put in it. It is a big craze with a lot of people to just pick up a bottle of water or pop and go where they have to go. Americans really do love convieniece.

Sponsored content

Sample Blog Empty Re: Sample Blog

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 8:00 pm