English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

The terible towel

tylerhenige

The terible towel Empty The terible towel

Post  tylerhenige Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Terrible Towel: Steelers fans’ unofficial flag

The terrible towel. For those who have any interest in the national football league, you will probably understand what I’m talking about. With the Super Bowl inching nearer and nearer, the terrible towel is ready to be in full swing. The towels history began in 1975 and has continued since. The towel is more than just a towel to the city of Pittsburgh. The towel represents success because Pittsburgh Steelers franchise is very successful. The gold towel reads in black, “terrible towel” and has become a symbol for the Pittsburgh Steelers. While the towel represents the Pittsburgh Steelers, it should represent even more for the Steelers’ opponents. The opponents who have mistreated the terrible towel have learned their lesson the hard way. A Cincinnati Bengals player wiped his feet with a terrible towel and his team was later defeated in the playoffs by, guess who, the Pittsburgh Steelers. Then it was a Baltimore Ravens players who stomped on the towel, and guess what, the Steelers beat the Ravens all three times this season. Now the Arizona Cardinals have made a terrible mistake. The Mayor of Phoenix blew his nose on a terrible towel, and then wiped his feet with it. But even after that the Cardinals mascot wiped his armpits with it. So are the Cardinals so confident that they can overcome this curse? What will endure, the terrible towel, or the over confidence of the Cardinals? Super Bowl Sunday will reveal if the curse of the terrible towel continues. On a side note, I’m rooting for that terrible towel!

Tyler Henige
    CoryHearns

The terible towel Empty Re: The terible towel

Post  CoryHearns Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

Having no real interest in football, I am really confused by this topic. You mean if someone touches a towel and then the steelers win, it is because of the towel? It is interesting that there is this whole subculture that knows about this towel thing and supports it, but it just seems completely foreign to me. I guess it is a little more interesting than just waving flags with the team’s logo on it. Having some weird towel that just confuses people not in on the joke doesn’t make the most sense to me though. It is still an interesting story in the article about how the towel became the team’s unofficial flag; it was created when Steelers’ broadcaster Myron Cope was forced to come up with a gimmick. Interesting choice of article as it was something I had never heard of. Did the towel end up helping them win the super bowl? I actually have no idea who won.
    reneeczekai

Post  reneeczekai Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 pm

I didn’t know that the Mayor of Phoenix blew his nose on a terrible towel, and then wiped his feet with it and all of the other teams did to the terrible towel. All the people in my family are Steelers fans; usually I root for the other team just to give them huck. But deep down I really do like them. It was pretty amazing how they can back and won. We usually bet on the super bowl games and I was winning $250 with 35 seconds left on the clock and than the Steelers had to come back and score leaving me with nothing. But oh well it’s was a good game.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm