English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds

TerynSwan

Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds Empty Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds

Post  TerynSwan Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:39 pm

This article talks about how people in Kentucky were hit by "the biggest natural disaster that this state has ever experienced in modern history.". This storm causesd so much damage to so many houses and caused at least 25 people to lose their lives. This storm consisted of very high winds, and lots of ice. The state called in 4,600 troops to the area to help with all the damage and to check on the people of those areas with the most damage to make sure they were okay. Of 120 counties in Kentucky 92 of them declared emergencies. The weather then became alot warmer on Sunday, which would seem like a good thing. It reality this was actually a bad thing, because it caused problems for the utility trucks trying to assist those in need. The melting of the snow and ice caused an excess amount of water to be in certain areas which affected the people of the area. I thought that this article was important, because it goes to show you that weather can affect people of all areas of the country in negative ways. Weather is a big part of our everyday lives and can cause people to be unable to travel and be stuck places for multiple days. Alot of people take weather for granted and that no matter what it's like outside they will take the risk and go out. They put there lives in danger, evven if it's to go shopping, that they could wait to do until it gets better outside. [url=http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/02/01/winter.weather/index.html]
    ashleyoglesby

Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds Empty Re: Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds

Post  ashleyoglesby Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Well that proves to people that bad weather can happen anywhere. It kind of shocks me when I heard that there was snow in Texas, actually it was funny. I feel pretty bad about all those people that lost their lives. Also the ones that lost their homes as well, to read that 92 counties declared emergencies, that is a lot, I am not good with how the weather affects different areas of the United States, but Kentucky is not one of those states that normally gets snow? Because if not they really need to call in some more people.
    reneeczekai

Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds Empty Re: Troops mark homes; Kentucky is warned of strong winds

Post  reneeczekai Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Weather hasn’t been too good all over the United States this year. I feel so bad for the people that live in Kentucky. Knowing that they will have to live in the shelters until they have everything that they need for their house is up and running. I was watching the news today and in West Palm Beach, FL it was 33 degree. I think that could be the recorded low for them. I have a friend that lives in Fort Lauderdale not far from West Palm and she says it’s been really cold down there. People from Michigan go down to Florida in the winter to get away from the cold weather but it just seems like it’s following them. People just need to stay in side of their homes when it’s bad out, it doesn’t matter if you have to be same where people should understand that you are in danger when driving in a storm that hit in Kentucky.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:48 pm