English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Groundhog Day

brandonking01

Groundhog Day Empty Groundhog Day

Post  brandonking01 Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,486491,00.html
    Well it’s Groundhog Day again and Punxsutawney Phil seen his shadow. I guess this means its six more weeks of winter. I think that this holiday is completely ridiculous. Do we really believe that an animal that hibernates the whole winter can predict the weather? The channel 5 news team has a hard enough time even with all the technology they have. The article predicted that 13,000 people have flocked to the small town, which is only home to an estimated 6100 people, to watch Phil predict our future weather conditions. Maybe we can get some dolphins to predict our next hurricane or polar bears to predict our next snow storm. I think they made a movie about this man-made holiday, it was stupid too! I guess there are good things about man-made holidays. MONEY! The town brings in big bank at least once a year. With our economic crisis we are in, why are we worrying about a four leg furry animal? The answer to that is simple let’s feed a superstition into people’s head in order to generate money to stimulate the economy. PERFECT! All our economic problems are solved. Well at least for a small town in Pennsylvania. Could this be the reason we create holidays, to keep our cash flowing through the system? Nobody knows for sure. My belief, don’t waste your energy on man-made holidays, unless it’s Valentine’s Day, because we don’t want to upset our better halves. I would rather save my money for a rainy day, because when it rains it pours.
    pamelanadzan

Groundhog Day Empty Re: Groundhog Day

Post  pamelanadzan Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:08 pm

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0210580/goundhog.htm

On this website it says that Punxsutawney Phil has been right only 39% of the time.
    Breanne Zuziak

Post  Breanne Zuziak Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:28 pm

This is kind of funny because I was just talking about Groundhogs day a few days ago with my family. We got to laughing about how people really think that if he see's his shadow that there would be another 6 weeks of winter no questions asked. I had to laugh because I remember being little and being upset that he saw his shadow because I thought for sure it meant the full 6 weeks of a frigid winter.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 8:39 pm