English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

Organ Donation

michellewalker

Organ Donation Empty Organ Donation

Post  michellewalker Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Dennis John Malloosseri died in November of last year just two days before his 26th birthday. This brave young man died trying to protect a woman who attended his church in New Jersey. The woman's estranged husband attacked her. While trying to protect her, Mr. Malloosseri was shot. The woman he was trying to protect was also shot and killed, and her husband was arrested.

The story does not stop there. This is not just the story of a would-be hero, but a true hero. Mr. Malloosseri died that same Friday night as a result of his wounds, but his family decided that the right thing to do would be to donate his organs in order to help others.

As a result the family's decision, five non-relatives, who nonetheless bear a close personal link with the deceased, were able to attend his memorial service in February of 2009. Ms. Torres, who suffers from lupus, was given his kidney. Mr. O'Hea, who received a young heart, had been told by his doctor that without the transplant he would not have lived through December. Mr. Begley, who has endured dialysis for four years, received a kidney and pancreas. Ms. Hameed now has a new liver. Mr. Muscarella, who received lungs, had suffered with cystic fibrosis and been given a less than 50% chance of surviving two years.

Without this donation, five lives would be shorter or ended at this time. Because of this donation, Mr. Malloosseri's family was able to meet the recipients of this gift and feel that he lives on even today.

Organ Donation

I would like to encourage each of you to look into your hearts and consider organ donation. Whether it is something you would want to do or not, discuss it with your family.
    ashleyoglesby

Organ Donation Empty Re: Organ Donation

Post  ashleyoglesby Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 pm

That was so nice of the family to donate the body part to those patients. I always believe that people should give body parts to people, because there is always some in need. I also think that if you have good body part, let some used them and get more use of them. But again that what I fell, I think that people should be more helpful in life. My grandma said that you can help people without even being there. I always help someone in need and not ask money, I like to count my blessings to live a good life.
    pamelanadzan

Organ Donation Empty Transplants

Post  pamelanadzan Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:54 pm

My daughter, who was born with no working intestines and lost her liver due to infection and a really strong antifungal drug, got a second chance at life when she was a year and a half. At the University of Nebraska Medical Center she had a liver and small intestinal transplant. I watched her turn from a bright yellow skinned little girl to white. She did amazingly well and is now 13 years old and is going on a ski trip in a few weeks. She is an awesome piano player and a gift from God. I am very grateful that someone, in their pain, was so selfless and thought of others when they themselves lost someone. Because of this I will return the favor some day. I have seen countless transplant kids that have been given this gift of life who grew up to be a blessing and because of their illnesses were very resilient, strong, and full of compassion. Seeing what they had to go through also shows me that it is worthwhile.
    courtniesanmiguel

Post  courtniesanmiguel Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:30 pm

That must have been a pretty hard decision for that family to make. I am sure that they knew it was the right thing to do but still when you lose someone you love that can be a hard thing to have to think about and normally you have to think of it right away. Also, he died trying to save someone and by what I get out of the story he really ended up saving five people’s lives that were in need of organs. The family made a really great decision and by helping save that many people I think the poor guy would of wanted that.
    dianekerkau

Post  dianekerkau Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:09 pm

I would have to say he is a true hero and that he lives on within the five families he helped. Obviously, his parents had to make probably one of the hardest decisions ever, but without being selfish they chose to help others who may not have had another chance at life. They did this knowing that there was no hope for their own son, but gave life to others. These five families will always keep him their hearts and forever be thankful. I know that my husband and I have talked about this, and if my organs were well, I would have them donated. This a miracle at life that we are able to provide and I think more people should consider this.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 4:30 am