English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Karaoke for class

Sethobrien

Karaoke for class Empty Karaoke for class

Post  Sethobrien Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 pm

With the current economic status, people are looking for help with money everywhere possible. What if you could sing for your tuition, gas money, and a resume make over? That’s what a radio station in Florida is offering the winner of a radio karaoke game show. A mother of three enters the competition as it is the only way that she will be able to go back to college and get a nursing degree. She was recently laid off and cannot find another job. Another contestant lost her job of 15 years and is singing for her chance to get a degree. There is also a third singer mentioned in the article. All three of these contestants will be singing about the recession and hard economic times. I feel that this kind of shows how bad that times currently are. People are resorting to singing to be able to support their family. I know that American Idol and game shows have been there to either improve the contestants life through new opportunities (American Idol) and let people get some extra cash (game shows) but these people are playing for a chance to be able to support their families… it’s not really a game for them. I would hate to be put in the situation that these people are put in. Hopefully the next economic stimulus package will help jumps start the economy. If it doesn’t I guess we will see what other things people will be willing to do to support their families.

Karaoke for cash
    tylerhenige

Karaoke for class Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:02 am

It is amazing what a person will do for their family. I would sign on a karaoke game show to help support my family, and I do not even have a family of my own. Also, I hate public speaking, so it would be torture for me. Hopefully the economic situation will get better in the near future or we will start to hear more stories like this one. To the contestants it is more than a game; it is basically a real life job. They have to prepare for their song, and do their best to win and support their family.
    Breanne Zuziak

Karaoke for class Empty Re: Karaoke for class

Post  Breanne Zuziak Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 pm

This just goes to show everyone how bad the economy has gotten. It is sad to think that people have to resort to singing about the economy in order to get a few extra bucks. On the other side of things it is good to see people trying to take care of their families. I know that if I was in Florida though I would not want to have to vote for a winner. It sounds like all of them could use the extra cash and knowing that only one of them can win and get the money makes it hard to vote for the winner.

Sponsored content

Karaoke for class Empty Re: Karaoke for class

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 4:34 am