English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Probiotics

michellewalker

Probiotics Empty Probiotics

Post  michellewalker Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:07 pm

"Probiotics is the friendly bacteria that lives in harmony inside the intestines and helps to keep the body in balance."

In a healthy intestinal tract the balance of good bacteria (80%) to bad bacteria (20%)is important to keep us healthy. Science is attempting to harvest and harness certain probiotics in order to help with certain diseases.

As we age, the amount of healthy bacteria in our intestinal tract decreases. This is due to the use of antibiotics and also aging.

If you are going to use pribiotics, you should check with your health care provider before using supplements as there is no FDA regulation for these products and you will want to check on what products are effective and safe. There is at this time, no know harmful side effects.

Some statements say that the cultures must be live in order to be effective. Still another I watched said that may not be the case. Watch out for lots of added sugars in the products though, bad bacteria love to multiply in sugars and that would defeat the purpose of ingesting the probiotics.

You can get probiotics from products such as yogurt. Also, probiotics are found in sauerkraut and miso soup. In one report on abc news, the scientist stated it can help reduce bloat and make your skin have a healthy glow.

With winter wearing long and everyone having a cold or flu going on, it might be worth looking into. Time will tell if it is the next big thing though because research in this area is still in it's infancy.

So what do you think? More hype or help?

CBS probiotics

MSNBC

ABC News
    ashleyoglesby

Probiotics Empty Re: Probiotics

Post  ashleyoglesby Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:25 am

I think that I would like the more help. Because I am a very young of age, and I want to look good when I turned to age 90. That is why I watch what I eat and try not to eat so many fatty foods. I love your response because most of the time when people talk about losing weight, they talk about carbs, and foods not to eat, exercising, etc. You brought something new to the table. People don’t look at the little things like that they focus on what the television tells them. So thanks for the information.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:21 am