English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+3
erikajunge
ashleyoglesby
brandonking01
7 posters

Topless Coffee Shop

brandonking01

Topless Coffee Shop Empty Topless Coffee Shop

Post  brandonking01 Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Topless coffee shop
    CNN reported that last Monday a man by the name of Donald Crabtree opened up a topless coffee shop in the small town of Vassalboro Maine. The population in the small town is only 4500 hundred residents. According to CNN, many people in this small town were irate. The owner’s brother stated, customers keep pouring in. Prior to opening the small business received over 150 applications. They hired a total of 15 people, 10 women and 5 men. He also added that they did not hire all 10’s, meaning that not all of the employees are not drop dead sexy. I find that hard to believe. In all reality who wants to look at a disgusting naked person while sipping their latte? Of the people that were hired, mostly all of them were laid off and having a hard time finding a job. One of the newly employed waiters claimed his last job could no longer afford to keep him so they laid him off. Another one claimed that she could not find a job in any restaurant due to lack of experience but now she is happy working as a waitress. It is reported one waitress received a 100 dollar tip and that most of the wait staff are averaging 30 dollars per table. If you ask me this is an awesome idea. There is a scarcity of jobs in the job market right now and this man just created 15 today and who knows if it takes off. Most people are hesitant about even starting a new business and this guy has an idea and it seems to be a good one. In addition, who doesn’t like coffee and nudity?

Toplesscoffeeshop
    ashleyoglesby

Topless Coffee Shop Empty Re: Topless Coffee Shop

Post  ashleyoglesby Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:59 pm

I think that it is said what those many and women have to put themselves thru just to have a job in the United States. I thought that there was a law, called indistinct exposure in public. It’s bad enough that we have hooters, strippers, and prostitutes in this country. This is the type of job that makes women look bad. What type of a women or man would love to have they shirt off while they are working. I think that I am always a secret person, so I feel uncomfortable going to places like that. I don’t care if they are men or women that are just not right.
    erikajunge

Post  erikajunge Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 pm

lol wow this is crazy. i figured if any kind of topless restuarant was made it would be in a different country. Like the ones that have nude beaches, but nope its right here in the united states. I dont really know about the whole idea though... it's kind of disgradeing women a little. I mean I suppose if the waitresses are all down for it, and people dont mind looking then good for them. And for what was written, it seems like their getting awesome tips while doing so! I'm glad to also read that at least men are involved and the entire staff isn't made up of only women. That coffee better be delicious too!
    lol!
    dianekerkau

Post  dianekerkau Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:32 pm

I think that is pretty pathetic. There are a lot of people out of jobs or have a lack of experience, but they try to find work in a reputable place. I can't even imagine applying and working there knowing that everyone in that small town will be talking about you or your family. I am sure they are getting great tips and I am not too sure I would want my husband going there for "coffee". This place makes Hooters look wholesome, at least they do have clothes on. There are other ways to earn a living, this seems to me to be a quick and easy way to do it. I know I would not want or allow my daughter to work at a place like this. To me you should have some respect for yourself and working at a topless coffee shop would not give yourself any sense of pride or respect for that matter. This definitely is no better than going to Deja Vu. I cannot believe the city council even allowed this business to open. I am not a prude, but I just have some morals and I would not go to a place like this.
    CoryHearns

Post  CoryHearns Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 pm

That’s a great gimmick. I wonder if customers are required to take their shirt off before they sit down, that would make a much better atmosphere. If you want to be a topless waiter, I think you should be able to be a topless waiter or waitress. Shirts are uncomfortable and constricting anyways. I think its nice that the workers are men and women, that’s a good way to make it non sexist. Everyone doesn’t wear a shirt so that means no one gets left out of the shirtless coffee party. I hope it is warm enough in there tho, because it could get cold being all non shirted all the time.
    HeatherClayton

Post  HeatherClayton Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:23 pm

I think this is crazy. This shows what people have to go through these days just to get a job. What kind of impression is this giving to the kids in the world. I hope that they tell you have to be a certain age to go in. It's just like a Deja Vu basically...why do we need more of these? I hope the women aren't the only ones who have to be naked because that is being absolutely rude. They might as well go work at a strip club. It's good that this made more jobs for people but I don’t think the guy who came up with the idea meant it to just make more jobs for people...I think he had some point to it. People shouldn't have to ever work in these types of jobs just to make a living...I mean if someone enjoys it then go ahead...whatever floats your boat. I just think that people nowadays have to constantly lower themselves to this kind of stuff just to make enough money to pay bills.
    Breanne Zuziak

Post  Breanne Zuziak Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:58 pm

I would have never thought of the combination of having coffee and having someone serve it to you being topless. I guess it is nice to give jobs to people that are laid off but I am not sure why it has to be topless. I can see how this can cause the town problems especially if there is not an age limit on who can go in there. I am sure parents wouldn’t be impressed to hear that their 15 year old child was going there just to see some nudity. I for one would not want my child going there just to be looking at topless people.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:08 am