English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could?

WillyAnderson

Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could? Empty Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could?

Post  WillyAnderson Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:20 pm

I have never really wondered why sharks and other non-mammals grow more than one set of teeth at once or can grown them continuously until I read this article and I found it to be pretty interesting. Some geneticists had started researching this bizarre subject, and had found that a single gene seems to be in charge of preventing more teeth to grow. These researchers had tried to bread mice that lacked this gene, and they had grown extra teeth. With this new research they are thinking it could be helpful to older people once their teeth have worn out. It also could be a good alternative to cosmetic surgery and dentures.
    I think that this sounds like a very neat study to be doing, it could really help people who just don’t have great teeth, or maybe lost teeth in an accident. I do think though that it won’t be as popular as cosmetic surgery like veneers because just like your normal adult teeth you never really know how they might grow in. So you might be faced with having to do braces or other work causing just as much spending as if you did do cosmetic work on your teeth.
    http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-health/20090302/MED.Making.Teeth.Grow/
    pamelanadzan

Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could? Empty New teeth

Post  pamelanadzan Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:51 am

This really gives me great hope for my teeth. Because of my divorce, the dentist is one of the things that I just can’t afford right now. Taking care of the family comes first. I just know that I have some problems with my teeth. It would be really nice some day if they could figure out a way for humans to grow a new set of teeth. I would also like to see them try to grow new intestines for my daughter. They have talked about that before also. It would be so wonderful to see her whole and to be like the other kids at school. It’s awesome when they come up with new developments in medicine and it really does change and save lives. It’s really neat to see what even something like a new set of teeth can do to a person’s self image. I really like watching the Extreme Makeover show and seeing the looks of joy on the faces of the people that get new teeth. It really changes their appearance.
    erikajunge

Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could? Empty Re: Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could?

Post  erikajunge Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:12 pm

hm thats interesting. I didnt even know that sharks and non-mammals had that capability of continuisley growing teeth. That would be pretty weird if humans got that trait.. i guess it would benefit though. Old people wouldn't ever have to worry about dentures like you said, and their teeth would always be real strong. But dont sharks have multiple layers of teeth at a time? If that happened to humans.. then I dont know how well that would really look, or even turn out! I guess i would have to read more about this new study.. but interesting to think about.

Sponsored content

Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could? Empty Re: Would you Grow another set of teeth if you could?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:07 pm