English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Armless pilot finds opportunity in the sky

dianekerkau

Armless pilot finds opportunity in the sky Empty Armless pilot finds opportunity in the sky

Post  dianekerkau Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Jessica Cox was born with no arms and not once did her dad shed a tear for her. She was never considered a victim and she never said the word "can't" she would just say she hasn't figured it out yet. She has mastered putting on make-up, wearing contacts, driving, text messaging, earned a black belt in tae kwon do and now wants to become a pilot, all of which she has learned to do with her feet. She was never thought of to be a victim nor was she ever treated like one. She was asked what made her want to become a pilot and her response was because it was one of her biggest fears that she wanted to overcome. She was asked what does she think her life would have been like if she would have been born with arms, and her reply was that she doesn't like to think about that because her life is good now. This story was very inspiring and makes you think that just when you think something bad is happening to you, that someone, somewhere may be going through something worse and not to think of yourself as a victim, but rather someone who is capable of overcoming challenges. I think God doesn't make us go through things if he didn't think we could handle it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/02/28/ypwr.jessica.cox/index.html?iref=newssearch
    pamelanadzan

Armless pilot finds opportunity in the sky Empty armless pilot

Post  pamelanadzan Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:36 pm

What an awesome story and what great determination she has. Here is another story about how we can be victorious in anything if we just set our minds to it. What an encouragement to others like her Jessica is. I saw on Oprah last week how the T.V. show about Ruby was such an encouragement to other people that are struggling with weight loss and about how little people can have fulfilling lives and pursue a career like anyone else. Even if you go through a crisis like the loss of a house, business, or marriage you can overcome and use it to help and encourage others. It is only by having experience that we can really do this. I once heard someone say that you wouldn’t want to go to a marriage counselor that had been divorced, but I say why not? I think that they could relate to you and maybe share some of what they had done wrong. I’d like to hear what others think.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:39 am