English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Bailout bonus plan for AIG

brandonking01

Bailout bonus plan for AIG Empty Bailout bonus plan for AIG

Post  brandonking01 Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Here we go again, another bail out gone wrong. It has been reported by CNN that AIG, who was awarded $170 billion dollars in bail out money has intended on paying out $165 million in bonuses. The company took a $62 billion dollar loss in the last quarter of 2008. The only problem I see here is that the government gave them a bailout. This company gave mortgage loans to people that they knew would not be able to pay up after their fixed rate changed to an adjustable rate. Now they are going to use that money to pay out bonuses. I think they should give the bailout money back and then try and work their problems out on their own. It has sickened me to see how much of a gap there is between the rich and the poor in this country. I think they should let all these companies who need bailout suffer. NO MORE BAILOUTS! Let them go bankrupt, yeah things will get worse but eventually they will start to get better. If the government keeps giving these companies money all it’s going to do is let the United States go broke too. Then who is going to bail out our country? China? I know, and have family members that work for these companies that are going under and I don’t want anyone to lose their jobs, but by the look of things it will most likely happen anyways. So all the bailouts are doing is slowing down what is bound to happen anyways.

AIG plans to give employees bonuses
    michellewalker

Bailout bonus plan for AIG Empty Let them go bankrupt

Post  michellewalker Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Okay, I know it is cold, but I have always disagreed with the bailout because I was leary of how the money would be used. In my opinion, if a company cannot fly, they need to go bankrupt or rework themselves.

Yes, I agree, many people will be hurting when things go south, but there will be a comeback. Companies will reorganize themselves or disappear. It is the basis of capitalism.

The most frustrating thing is that it appears these banks were intending to give the bonuses all along and hoping for the bailout money just for that purpose.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:59 pm