English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

Global Warming: Irreversible

CoryHearns

Global Warming: Irreversible Empty Global Warming: Irreversible

Post  CoryHearns Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:47 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99888903

According to findings from a new study about the effects of pollution on the environment, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, it is now known that the negative effects of carbon dioxide emission are nearly irreversible. It is scary to think that even if all carbon dioxide emissions were immediately stopped, there would be no positive changes in the course of global warming for at least 1,000 years. This just makes finding plausible solutions for these environmental problems all the more important to find as soon as possible, since the longer we wait, the worse it will get. With no real way to reverse climate change brought about by these emissions, we need to work together to adjust our ways in order to make sure the environment we get stuck with can maybe be less damaged than if we let excessive carbon dioxide emissions continue. A particularly unsettling prediction in the study is that if our current level of dangerously high emissions continued, it “could be enough to create permanent dust-bowl conditions in the U.S. Southwest and around the Mediterranean.” I am not as worried about things staying on the same downward spiral thanks to the new President, who seems more open to change, and has already taken strides towards helping cut back harmful emission by endorsing a new auto emissions policy. If environmental changes are no longer seen as fixable by scientists, it might be easier to get support to projects that help at least slow down global warming because the threat seems more real when you know that with no action, things will only get worse.
    ashleyoglesby

Global Warming: Irreversible Empty Re: Global Warming: Irreversible

Post  ashleyoglesby Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I am glad that the new president is seeing that the worlds global warming is a really big issue; and he is trying to make changes to the world before it gets too late. I always know that the ozone layer is disappearing, but with carbon dioxide in the air, time is going by fast. I try to get people to recycle more, but again I live with people who do not care. So I hope the president will make it a law that people have to recycle, and I also hope we can find people that litter all over the place. That is why cities are dirty now, because people does not care about anything that they do or see.
    erikajunge

Post  erikajunge Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:38 pm

I've always been interesting in the research behind global warming, and to finding ways to help control it. It really is crazy that even if we slowed down the amount of carbon dioxide fumes transporting into the air, thousands of years down the road is when its going to take a role, and until that point we cant control it. I really hope also with the new president that things can start to become more controlled. I hope people will find a way to slow down the temperature changes throughout the world, and stop making things seem to scary for the future.
    HeatherClayton

Global Warming: Irreversible Empty Global Warming

Post  HeatherClayton Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:16 pm

It is crazy that what has happening so far with global warming is basically irreversible. Ever since I was in 8th grade my teachers would always say things about global warming and how we can help it and stop it from happening. But after reading this it really surprised me that you can’t stop it from happening since it has already started. Everything is already damaged and all we can do is help to make things a little better. I agree with you about not worrying too much anymore because of Obama but there is still room inside me to continue worrying a little bit. If we were to all stop worrying completely then we would continue to help increase global warming rather than try to keep it where it is. I think Obama will do a lot to help out with things that we don’t really even notice, the ones that could turn into big things before we know it, while he is always taking care of the big things. We’ll see!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:13 pm