English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+2
tylerhenige
ashleyoglesby
6 posters

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control?

ashleyoglesby

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control? Empty Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control?

Post  ashleyoglesby Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1884169,00.html?cnn=yes

The U.S. military has built a robot that can drive itself around and attack enemies on sight. This robot is to help the stop or slowing down the deaths of American soldiers. This robot is also helps with slowing down deportment of American Human soldiers. Experts say that the Iraq war is becoming a robotic war. I think this happening because every time some country builds a robot, another country has to build something that is bigger and better. It’s like a technology war in the Middle East. This war has been going on for 100 of years. Things like Russia builds bombs that can wipe out a city; the United States builds bombs that can wipe of a state… so forth. This is a war that would never end. Here is what I think that is the crazy part, the only time that people hear there is a new way to fight the enemy is when there is a actually war going on. I have a friend that is in the Army reserves, he said that the teams he works with always build guns and other machines to help fight against the enemy, and a lot of those machines are not even mention. Or they try to keep it out of the public. He also said that the robot was built about three years ago, and information is just now being release because it is ready to use. I am just hoping that it works correctly, and that means less people dying.
    tylerhenige

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control? Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 am

Technology is going to reach a point that is out of control. I like the fact that this robot will stop American soldiers from dying. But there is a problem. The more the world advances in technology the worse the wars are going to get. The world will get to a point were countries are going to start threatening each other with massive weapons. Weapons that will eliminate a whole country. So while these robots will save lives, they may also cost lives. Because war will be so easy with these large weapons. With one bomb that can be shot from thousands of miles away a country could be wiped out. Where will the line be drawn?
    Sethobrien

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control? Empty Re: Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control?

Post  Sethobrien Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:44 pm

This actually does not surprise me. In another one of my classes my instructor told me that they are starting to do surgeries with robots as well. So I guess we are going to use robots to help fight death and discomfort as well as to cause death. I would rather send a robot into battle anyways instead of a human soldier. I hope this works out though and we don’t end up on the receiving end of the robots from other countries. Maybe someday it is going to come down to putting robots into a battle area and letting them go at it instead of taking innocent lives away. On the negative side, how much are these robots going to cost us. Our taxes are going to increase dramatically when all of our robots start to get destroyed.
    HeatherClayton

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control? Empty Robot in war

Post  HeatherClayton Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 pm

I think that building this robot to help in the war is a good idea but I also agree with you on the bigger and better thing. Every time something is built another country has to build something bigger but I also think that they try to build things better because it helps show that the country is strong and can think of things to protect themselves from danger. I wish that someone would mention all the other things built though…I think it would be cool to hear about them and what they are doing to help in the war. I think making this robot to stop the deaths of so many people who are fighting across seas is a great idea.
    Breanne Zuziak

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control? Empty Re: Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control?

Post  Breanne Zuziak Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:48 pm

In a way this surprises me and at the same time it does not surprise me that much. My biggest question is how much does it take to take down one of these robots? Granted it is not a human being shot at but are these robots going to be able to actually last for some time? I hope for the sake of less people being killed that they will work. I kind of don’t understand how it is a technology war in the Middle East only because I didn’t think the Middle East was equipped with that type of knowledge or technique. I do however find it very interesting that a robot will soon be able to fight our wars though.
    tsugden

Post  tsugden Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 pm

I think its a good idea to save lives. I wonder how much the government spends on projects like this every year though? I think every government wants to have the upper hand with weapons so they not only feel safe but have more "persuasion" over countries without weapons as powerful. It's nothing new, every time there is a new war in the world someone comes up with some new technology to kill enemies faster or more efficiently. I think maybe if the money and time was spent on medical advances or something that was beneficial to everyone in the world it would be a lot better use of it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:41 pm