English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

Ex-militia leader denies forcing children to fight in Congo war

courtniesanmiguel

Ex-militia leader denies forcing children to fight in Congo war Empty Ex-militia leader denies forcing children to fight in Congo war

Post  courtniesanmiguel Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:00 pm

When I read this article I wanted to cry. It’s about Thomas Lubanga, a war leader that is denying forcing children to fight in the Congo war. This trial has been going on for a while and he still won’t admit it. The prosecution has video footage of him with children soldiers and they have 34 children that will testify against him. How could his conscious let him deny something that there is proof of and that deserves punishment? The children he forced to be in this war were found to be younger than 15 years old! Making young children fight in a war is evil! Would you want to have fought in a war or to see and hear terrible things when you were only 15 years old? That is sick that Lubanga and other leaders could agree to something so cruel. I agree that they should prosecute the other leaders as well. Lubanga couldn’t of done something like that alone. I’ve seen movies where children are fighting in wars and it seems too cruel to actually be real but it obviously is. Kids don’t have the strength to be involved in a war physically or emotionally. They didn’t chose for there to be a war and they aren’t capable of things that are required in battle. Grown men and women sometimes can’t handle the things they go through in war times, how can anyone expect a little kid too. I also thought it was terrible that 19 of the 34 witnesses would testify with their faces covered and voices distorted. Nobody deserves to be that scared! Nobody deserves the power to hurt and take advantage people especially little kids. http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/01/26/congo.hague.trial/index.html

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm