English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+6
reneeczekai
courtniesanmiguel
pamelanadzan
Breanne Zuziak
TerynSwan
CoryHearns
10 posters

Stress Worsens Allergies

CoryHearns

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty Stress Worsens Allergies

Post  CoryHearns Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Don’t you hate it when allergy season comes around? Well don’t hate it too much because due to a new study stress levels have been linked to causing more severe allergy attacks. A group of people who suffered seasonal allergies completed high stress activities like a 10-minute presentation and then were given a skin prick. Allergic reaction to the allergens was increased after the high stress activity compared to the low stress one. I think it is very interesting how body’s function and all these new links between strange things that occur in their functioning are quite fascinating. I never would have thought that being stressed out could possibly make allergy attacks even more unbearable. But it also makes a whole lot of sense since I have been suffering from allergies for a long time and whenever I talk to someone else who is experiencing them but never really got them that often previously, they are usually upset about it. Thusly they are probably more stressed and have a worse time with them than someone like me who tries to just forget about them, not letting them get in the way of my day. Appratntly the increased levels of stress hormones really let the allergy infestation get at your so your much more susceptible to the reaction. This is really helpful information to know about so that if I do get a bad allergy attack it would be better to just relax and read a magazine than to give a 10-minute lecture about math.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025905.html
    TerynSwan

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty stress worsens allergies

Post  TerynSwan Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm

This is something that is very interesting to me. I have allergies pretty bad in the fall and spring seasons. I never would have thought that something like stress would lead to a higher intolerance to these allergies. I normally stress out a lot when my allergies are acting up, because its normally pretty annoying when my eyes water frequently and my nose is stuffed up. It gets me irritated and can get me to stressing, so this is a very good thing to know for in the future when my allergies start acting up.
    Breanne Zuziak

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty Re: Stress Worsens Allergies

Post  Breanne Zuziak Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:41 pm

I find this very interesting because I have been somewhat stressed out with school work right now because everything is piling up since we are shortly approaching the end of the semester. This past week I have also developed a stuffy nose and somewhat of a sore throat. Since I am in college the last thing I want to do is to go to the doctor. But the funny thing is that I have never been allergic to anything but I believe that in the past two or three years I have developed seasonal allergies because early spring I seem to always get a stuffy nose and a sore throat that last for a few days. It will go away but sometimes comes back if it gets cold and then warm out again. It’s crazy how allergies work.
    pamelanadzan

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty Allergies

Post  pamelanadzan Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 pm

So that explains why my allergies have been so bad. I ate a piece of candy the other day and my eyes started watering, I started sneezing, and the roof of my mouth started itching. I have been under a little more stress than usual and have been a little fatigued. I do believe that stress can lower your immune system causing illness also. And getting a good night sleep, which I haven’t been doing, does wonders for your immune system. It also does a lot for your appearance. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll go to bed early tonight because I need it.
    courtniesanmiguel

Post  courtniesanmiguel Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 pm

I have pretty bad allergies to begin with but this season has seemed to be a little worst then usual and I wasn’t quite sure why. This time in my life is probably been the most stressful for me. My stress levels are definitely high and probably making my allergies worst. School, work, and all my other responsibilities seem to just keep pilling up and my immune system seems to be turned to the off switch right now. I didn’t think that just taking a moment to forget about the allergies would actually help reduce some of my stress. I saw this article and almost picked it but saw that you had already chosen it.
    reneeczekai

Post  reneeczekai Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:35 pm

That's crazy that stress can cause more stress than usually if you don't already have them. I don't have allergies but I know people in my family that have allergies. My brother has it pretty bad in the spring and summer. Sometimes in the winter if he is around cats. But I have never heard of stress causing that also. But now that I think about it I have been more sick this year than usually because I have been under more stress than usually.
    brandonking01

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty Allergies

Post  brandonking01 Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

This is not the first time I have heard this. I have had two different doctors tell me this. I thought I was sick last semester. I went to the doctors and it was the week before finals and I had a ton of homework and studying to do. It was also the holiday season. I started getting allergy like symptoms. I thought it was just a cold. She had told me that she thinks that I am just stressed out with school and work and it made my allergies flare up. I didn’t believe it at first because usually my allergies don’t start acting up until this time of year. But after I asked her some more questions and she explained how stress weakens your tolerance to certain allergens. Just over spring break my allergies made me feel like garbage and another doctor told me something similar.
    HeatherClayton

Post  HeatherClayton Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:40 pm

I have really bad allergies so this topic really caught my attention. For me, all year is allergy season. I am constantly sneezing, and my eyes are always itching or watery and red. Lately they seem to be worse and if what this article is saying is true then I can finally understand why they are worse. I have been really stressed out lately so maybe I should settle down a little. There are so many people in the world with allergies that everyone should know about this that way they can take a new step into helping to clear some of the symptoms or make them a little better some way.
    Sethobrien

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty Response to Allergens

Post  Sethobrien Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:43 pm

I do not find this very surprising. Stress has been linked to impairing immune system responses in many studies. In my Surgical Tech. class we have been talking about the effects that different life events have on a health person. Most often stress is the leading cause to a weak immunes system which makes a person more susceptible to anything foreign in the body including allergens. I am glad that I do not have to deal with allergens personally. No matter what season spring summer winter or fall, I have not had anything to worry about. Hopefully that will not change, I would hate to have to deal with that.
    tylerhenige

Stress Worsens Allergies Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:11 pm

I also suffer from seasonal allergies. I take zyrtec everyday and some days it seems to work better than others. I am not sure if it because of stress, or something with the pollen in the air. But I do get stressed out sometimes. I can believe that stress would add to allergies. I do not know if other people have sinus problems. But can stress affect that also. For example, when your sinuses drain and cause your head to hurt like crazy. Can that be because stress is causing your head to drain and hurt even more. That makes me wonder about sinuses.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:05 am