English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+2
WillyAnderson
HeatherClayton
6 posters

Man, 47, marries girl, 8

HeatherClayton

Man, 47, marries girl, 8 Empty Man, 47, marries girl, 8

Post  HeatherClayton Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Man, 47, marries girl,8

I think this is absolutely outrageous. It is said that Saudi women have barely any rights and when fighting against their husband they have even less. A young girl, age eight married a man, age forty-seven to settle her fathers debt. Her mother was refusing the wedding but her father wanted it. The young girl did not want to get married but had no choice. I could never see how a father would want his daughter to get married at such a young age. Getting married has a big impact on the lives of people. I can’t even imagine how much this is going to change that little girl’s life. In the back of my head I really wish that the mother had more rights so she could object to all of it and the little girl could actually have a life. She more than likely won’t be able to play anymore like kids are supposed to be able to do. I’m wondering if she will be able to go to school. I’m shocked and really angry that things like this happen. The judge wouldn’t annul the marriage but he made the forty-seven year old man sign a paper agreeing that he wouldn’t have sex with her until she reached puberty. That is just as bad if not worse than the whole marriage! The mother must feel horrible, not only because her eight year old daughter is married but also because her husband wanted it and actually agreed with the whole thing. I hope that eventually the father will realize everything and feel like the worst person ever.
    WillyAnderson

Man, 47, marries girl, 8 Empty Just wrong!

Post  WillyAnderson Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 pm

When reading this my stomach did flips. This story is sick, in so many aspects of it. Why in the world would any father even think of doing this? I know I’m not a father but my gosh where is the conscious in these people. It would latterly kill me if this happened to any children in my life….well matter of fact it also makes me angry and I don’t know these people. No debt is so important to marry an eight year old daughter off. I’d rather them take my life in return for the debt. Also what kind of man wants to be married to an eight year old girl? I mean what would even make you even think this for a second, let alone do it. The judge, I can’t even though that subject I just dislike so much that we have people like these in our world!
    erikajunge

Man, 47, marries girl, 8 Empty Re: Man, 47, marries girl, 8

Post  erikajunge Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:44 am

oh my gosh this is crazy! So did this couple get married in saudi arabia? I'm at least hopeing so, because there is no way that could ever happen in the united states. I feel really bad for the little girl. Her life is completley changeing and she hasnt even experienced it yet. Let alone be rushed so fast into a marriage, something that takes years to be prepared for. Especially the deal with not having sex until shes reached puberty! wow! thats wrong on so many levels! This old man that married her has GOT to have some type of mental problem. Who seriously would have the morality to marry a little child!?
    dianekerkau

Post  dianekerkau Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm

This is so wrong on so many levels. It is pathethic that a father would not put his own daughter's wellbeing first as opposed to paying off a debt and for him not to think anything of it, is quite scarey. I also feel bad for the mother because she has no rights for one and she is not able to help her daughter. The man that agreed to marrying this little girl is definitely sick and would even be considered pedefile. Why would he want a little girl for his wife, when I am sure there are so many other woman that he could be with. Obviously, he was able to convince the father to this absurb deal. Also, does he think by signing a paper stating that he will not have sex with this girl until she reaches puberty is still wrong. Nowadays girls go through puberity younger and younger, so by the time she is 10 years old he would be happy to do that to her. To me that would be rape and there is no way any little girl would condone that. Do they not have a conscience? Even the government does not see anything wrong with this. This makes you appreciate living in the United States.
    michellewalker

Man, 47, marries girl, 8 Empty Hug your kids!

Post  michellewalker Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:28 am

Hug your kids and be greatful we live in the United States. I made my 20 year old daughter read this and she just hugged me and said "I am so glad you can't do this in the U.S.".

Seriously, I assume that this little girl is now going to be living with the 47-year old husband. What is to prevent her abuse now? A piece of paper? I think it is all nuts, but the legal system is just so different there. I am sure there is no way of policing the situation with social service visits or anything.

I had to respond, but I am so horrified, I have nothing more to add than anyone else has said. This just makes me angry.
    brandonking01

Man, 47, marries girl, 8 Empty This is dumb!

Post  brandonking01 Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:20 pm

This is totally ridiculous. This guy is sick. What would make someone want to marry an 8 year old? I think that this person needs to be behind bars. What would provoke the child’s father from giving his daughter away at such a young age? I know that some countries and religions still have organized marriages. I am not opposed to that. But there needs to be restrictions. Age should be part of that. At age 8 you should not be allowed to get hitched. I have done research on African cultures and I know it is still happening in some places. Mostly they are organized to extend or to help the family. But in my research I never found any girls being given away at such a young age. This guy gave his daughter away to pay back a debt. Someone should put a stop to this.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 1:25 am