English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

High school basketball team wins 100-0

tylerhenige

High school basketball team wins 100-0 Empty High school basketball team wins 100-0

Post  tylerhenige Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:27 am

Girls Basketball Team Regrets Winning 100-0, Seeks Forfeit

A Texas high school girls basketball team did something that no one should ever do. They beat another team 100-0. Already winning 59-0 at halftime the team continued to shoot three pointers. Along with running up the score, the fans and an assistant coach cheered as the team neared 100 points. Where I come from we are taught to show respect, and from what I can tell this basketball team showed their opponent no respect. Most teams would have backed off when they were up by 30 or 40 points and would have taken it easy on the other team. As a member of the winning team I would have backed off even if my coach wanted me to score. I would feel terrible if I were on the winning team. If I were the losing team in this situation I would take it as a slap in the face that now they want to forfeit the game. They realize they made a mistake now, but you already embarrassed my teammates and I, I wouldn’t want your sympathy. As for the losing school, which hasn’t won a game in four years, I admire your courage and your will to fight. Most kids would turn away from a sport if they were so unsuccessful, but you continue to fight on. On a high note, the losing school is receiving publicity from this and maybe this will boost their enrollment, which is low. Also the girls were treated to Dallas Mavericks basketball game in the General Managers suite, so that must have been exciting for them.
    HeatherClayton

High school basketball team wins 100-0 Empty 100-0

Post  HeatherClayton Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:08 pm

I thought it was pretty cool how the team won 100-0. Yeah, it is bad for the other team but I’m sure they didn’t think anything horrible about it especially if they haven’t won a game in four years. I used to play basketball and my coach always pushed us to our limits. There was one girl on our team who felt bad every time we won because she didn’t like making the other team lose but truth is if you play that hard then you deserve to win. The girls who lost deserve to win too but it seems like they are basically playing on the fun that they have when they are on the court. I am in no place to say that the losing team didn’t deserve to win because I know how bad it feels when you do lose but they must be playing for something other than winning because they aren’t quitting the sport. If I were the winning team I wouldn’t have lightened up at all because then you are putting yourself in a situation where you are better than what you’re playing. You should always play your best and have fun when you’re playing.
    tsugden

High school basketball team wins 100-0 Empty Re: High school basketball team wins 100-0

Post  tsugden Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:42 pm

I also played on my schools basketball team in high school, and just like Heather said my coach always pushed us to do our best. Its pretty crazy that the other team couldn't even score once during the game. A lot of times if we were winning by a lot our coach would put in the second string guys so they could get more experience playing in a real game, I wonder if they did that at all or just kept in the starters. I don't think they were trying to disrespect the other team by not allowing them to score. I think they were just caught up in the moment and wanted to see how far they could push it. I know if I was playing and winning by that much it would have definitely been very exciting and I would have wanted to keep going as far as I could. I see where you are coming from but I think that the other team probably didn't care, they were just having fun and playing the game.

Sponsored content

High school basketball team wins 100-0 Empty Re: High school basketball team wins 100-0

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 1:39 am