English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case

brandonking01

13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case Empty 13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case

Post  brandonking01 Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

The Supreme Court is going to here a new case very soon. It is the case of the thirteen-year-old girl who was stripped searched in school. The search took place in an Arizona school in 2003. Another classmate accused savanna Redding of concealing a prescription dose of ibuprofen. After she was accused she was taken into the principles office and forced to strip all of her clothes in front of two female staff members. The search of her backpack found nothing, and the strip search also found nothing. In an affidavit Savanna claimed that it was the most humiliating thing that has ever happened to her. She also said that she held her head down so that those who were searching her would not see her cry. A federal appeals court found this to be traumatizing and illegal. So in January the Supreme Court justices agreed to here the Safford school district case. They will decide whether a campus setting gives school administrators greater discretion to control students suspected of illegal activity than police are allowed in cases involving adults in general public spaces. I find this to be humiliating also. I would be furious if my daughter was stripped in school. I would probably go into the principles office and throwing punches. I believe that the school does not have the right to strip search. I don’t even think that the police should be able to strip search you unless you are charged with a crime first and physically in custody. She was also searched base on what another classmate accused her of, not of any physical proof. I hope the Supreme Court see this the same way I do.

13-year-old stripped searched in school
    michellewalker

13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case Empty Should not be allowed.

Post  michellewalker Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 am

I think that it is unforgivable what happened to this young lady. There is no reason that, in my opinion, gives a school the right to continue such a practice. I completely understand searching school lockers, backpacks and purses. I would not disagree with having students turn out their pockets on jackets, etc., but this is simply going too far. She was humiliated, and her peers were aware that it had happened which is even worse for a girl of that age. As I understand it, they never called her parents in either. I am sure that there would have been some accelerated hostility in my household had this ever happened to my daughter.
    Sethobrien

13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case Empty response

Post  Sethobrien Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:31 pm

I agree that it was wrong and that it would be very degrading to have to do that at any age let alone at thirteen. This young lady was at the age where kids are not comfortable in thier skin, and they really do not want anyone to see them without thier clothes on. I thik that it was a huge invasion of her privacy. Strip searches are usually done on criminals when there is a good reason. I do not think that this girl deserved to be put in this situation just because someone said that she had a perscription drug in her occupants. They should have gone about solving this problem in a different way.
    courtniesanmiguel

13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case Empty Re: 13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case

Post  courtniesanmiguel Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 pm

This is very sad. I don’t have a daughter but if I did I definitely would be furious if she was strip searched in school! What authority did the two women think that they had to do that? First of all it was just another 13 or 14-year-old tattle tailing on her and second the prescription drug in the situation was ibuprofen! If I was forced to strip every time a teacher saw my Tylenol it would of definitely been pretty often. This is an evil thing to do to a 13-year-old little girl and the two women should feel ashamed of themselves!

Sponsored content

13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case Empty Re: 13-Year-Old Female Stripped Searched at School Case

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:20 am