English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

Austrian jumpers take top spots; hill record falls

Breanne Zuziak

Austrian jumpers take top spots; hill record falls Empty Austrian jumpers take top spots; hill record falls

Post  Breanne Zuziak Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Austrian jumpers take top spots; hill record falls

This past weekend I attended the annual Ski Jumps festival in Iron Mountain, Michigan located in the Upper Peninsula. At the event people from all over the world such as Germany, Austria, Finland, Norway, and such fly in to compete in the jumps. The competition was held on both Saturday and Sunday. First the skiers start out off of a wooden slope and sore off of it onto the hill. They try and get as far as they can to set a new high record while they are also judged on their style and from of jumping. This year competing for the first time was a 16-year old boy named Lukas Mueller of Austria. Earlier this month he claimed the junior world championship in Slovakia. Mueller shows that there isn’t a certain age to start just determination and dedication. This year at Ski Jumps Muller won Saturday and Sunday and was able to hold off Stefan Thurnbichler from Austria who is a seven-year Pine Mountain veteran. Last year Stefan was the Pine Mountain champ and did all he could to beat Muller this year. On Thurnbichler’s second jump he was able to break an amazing hill-record of 143.5 meters also known as 471 feet on Sunday. On Sunday Thurnbichler was able to move from sixth place to second place. The paper quoted Stefan Thurnbichler saying “It’s almost the same as sky-flying. I've jumped the biggest hill in the world and went 224.5 meters. But this is almost the same feeling because with this wind you get higher and higher and higher and your stomach is going up. The feeling is awesome." Both days there was great weather which made for a great time. I would recommend that if anyone gets the chance to attend to take the family up for the weekend next year to do so and you’ll be guaranteed a great time!

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:12 pm