English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

drink and drive, drink and murder

Sethobrien

drink and drive, drink and murder Empty drink and drive, drink and murder

Post  Sethobrien Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:21 am

On August 5, 2006 a fatal accident killed a thirty five year old woman, and severely wounded a forty nine year old man. The twenty one year old driver of the car that killed the woman on a motorcycle was under the influence of alcohol. The Dodge Neon that the woman was driving skidded out of control, crashed into the median and rolled over. The motorcycle that the 49 year old man was driving crashed into the rolled over car killing the 35 year old woman. The driver of the car was sentenced to probation, including one-year on an electronic tether for negligent homicide. The defense attorney of the 21 year old woman said that the driver of the motorcycle was under the influence of cocaine. I think that the driver of the car should have gone to jail. It doesn’t matter if the driver of the motorcycle was under the influence of a controlled substance or not, she is responsible for the crash that killed the other woman. If the driver of the motorcycle was under the influence of cocaine, then he should also be held responsible for the murder of the woman. Murder is murder; it doesn’t matter if it is with a car, a gun, a knife or any other weapon. I feel that there is no difference. If a man is drinking a kills his wife, or someone else because he is drunk, he would be held responsible and go to jail for the rest of his life if not the rest of his life.

check it out
    tsugden

drink and drive, drink and murder Empty Re: drink and drive, drink and murder

Post  tsugden Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:42 am

I agree, I think both of them should be held responsible for the death of the woman. I hear stories similar to this all the time and it always seems like the drunk driver gets off with a very short jail sentence and some probation. I don't think that's enough. If kids grow up seeing that they can get away with stuff like this then they are just going to drink and drive all the time not worrying about the consequence. I enjoy having a drink with my friends once and a while but I would never get behind the wheel after it. Is is really that hard to call up a buddy and have them give you a ride? I don't think so.
    reneeczekai

Post  reneeczekai Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:30 pm

I agree, I think that if someone gets into a car accident they should be the one that is responsible because they caused it. It doesn't matter if they were under the influence or not. You have a responsible for your own actions. And there are a lot of people that get of easy and think that it's just a joke or something. They think that they didn't kill them, that they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are old enough to know how to control the situation and understand what might be the consequences would be.
    dianekerkau

Post  dianekerkau Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:43 am

This was accident could have been avoided. For one, the young girl driving should never have been behind the wheel and the driver of the motorcycle also should not have been driving. The 35 year old woman really did not have a fighting chance. The problem with young drivers is the fact that they think that nothing will ever happen to them. That they think if they just have a "couple" that they are "okay" to drive. The don't understand that they are still impaired and don't have experience with driving and just because you have not drank but use drugs you are still impaired. Obviously, neither one of them wanted to kill anyone, but when you put alcohol/drugs with driving that is the chance you take. Because of one selfish act has affected so many lives. People need to look at the big picture before they do anything like drinking or drugs and not live in the moment, for the most part the outcome is never good.
    tylerhenige

drink and drive, drink and murder Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:45 pm

I agree that both of people who were under the influence of a substance should go to jail for murder. They were both responsible for killing the other person and should be held responsible just like every other murderer. At some point people must take responsibility for drinking and driving. Young adults or kids think that they can get away with drinking and driving and there will be no consequence, but there should be a very harsh consequence. In this case, they should go to jail for murder. The person who died had no chance to protect herself, a harsh punishment should be made.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:56 pm