English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend

reneeczekai

Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend Empty Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend

Post  reneeczekai Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:33 pm

An 11-year-old American boy has been charged with killing his father's pregnant girlfriend with his hunting gun as she lay in bed at the family farmhouse in Pennsylvania. A prosecutor said Monday that he had no choice but to file adult charges against an 11-year-old boy. Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo said Pennsylvania state law prohibits him from filing criminal homicide charges against Jordan Brown in juvenile court. Jordan Brown is alleged to have shot 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk, who was eight months pregnant, before catching the school bus on Friday morning. Houk's family and friends said there had been tensions between her and the boy. Houk was eight months pregnant with Brown's father's child, and had two daughters, aged 7 and 4, from a previous relationship. A state police search warrant revealed Monday that police also found a blue blanket with a quarter-sized hole in it that appeared to be singed from a shotgun blast. Bongivengo said authorities think the boy covered the gun with the blanket to hide it from Houk. Brown is charged as an adult; he must remain in the county jail, and is separated from about 300 adult inmates. He's being kept out of a normal cellblock and in a 10-by-8-foot cell in the booking area and checked on every 15 minutes. It's just horrible these days kids are more experienced in this kind of things. There was another shooting in Arizona where a 9 year shoots his father's roommate.Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend
    dianekerkau

Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend Empty Re: Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend

Post  dianekerkau Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:37 pm

This story is incredible. I was also going to write about it, but several people already have. I feel that 11 year old boy knew what he was doing. He knew he wanted to get rid of his father's girlfriend, but may not have the intellect to realize that dead is forever. I think he thought this act through and for him to shoot her while she was sleeping in the back of the head and then get on a bus to go to school indicates some serious issues he has. The way the story reads almost makes it sound like he may have been jealous of the new baby and didn't want to have to share his father again. I also do not believe that any child should be allowed to have access to weapons, especially a rifle/gun. I know alot of men who hunt like to get their son's involved, but those guns should have been locked up and bullets put someplace else. That is exactly how people are "accidently" shot. I also feel that he should be charged as an adult because at 11 years old they know the difference from right and wrong. He took two lives that day and should not be allowed to live his life after getting out of juvenile at the age of 18. He definitely should have pyschiatric testing done. It is a shame that two lives had to be wasted over something that could have been worked out. Unfortunately, no article indicates a mother being involved in his life. All in all, a terrible and sad story.
    WillyAnderson

Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend Empty PA shooting

Post  WillyAnderson Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:47 am

I have to agree that this is in general just a terrible situation to be happening. That little boy should have never been able to even access that gun in the first place. Also I have read that he had made several comments that he was going to kill her and the adults felt that it stemmed from jealousy. It’s not normal for an 11 year old to be making comments about killing his step mom so at that point they should have been taking action right away. With that being said I also agree that at 11 years old you know right from wrong and something has to be wrong with that little boy to be able to kill his step-mom and soon to be sibling and be fine to go to school. I know at the age of 11 I was worrying about my hot wheels not thinking about killing people. I am on the fence on how they charge him, I feel yes charge him as an adult he is old enough to know better but at the same time he was screaming warning signs also. Either way its terrible two lives had to be lost over a feeling that could have been dealt with.

Sponsored content

Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend Empty Re: Pennsylvania boy, 11, charged with murder of father's pregnant girlfriend

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:53 pm