English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit

reneeczekai

Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit Empty Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit

Post  reneeczekai Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:30 pm

A Delta Airlines plane landed safely at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport after it struck a bird shortly after takeoff. Airport spokeswoman Michelle Wilcut said flight 1053 returned to the airport Monday morning. The plane was headed to Atlanta. Wilcut said the passengers were booked on other flights. In January, a US Airways plane that had taken off from LaGuardia Airport in New York had to make an emergency landing in the Hudson River when both of its engines were disabled by bird strikes shortly after takeoff. One of the birds hit and disabled one of the plane's engines, and the pilot was able to safely land the plane again. None of the 191 people on board the plane were injured. Passengers on board the flight told WDSU that they could feel the plane shake after the bird hit it. Many said they are just glad to be safe and on the ground. An hour before the incident, wildlife managers at the airport reported no activity, Wilcut said. But Monday’s rainy weather can attract the birds to the area, she said. Birds caused engine failure for a US Airways plane taking off from New York in January. That plane made an emergency landing in the Hudson River, and all of its passengers made it safely off the aircraft.

Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit
    WillyAnderson

Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit Empty Re: Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit

Post  WillyAnderson Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 am

I personally don’t know what I would do if I was on a flight and all the sudden it started shaking and then an emergency landing. I guess it would depend if you are on a plane frequently and not to nervous about it but on the other hand I don’t fly much so when I’m on a plan I’m pretty tense. It seems like we never really heard about birds causing emergency landings and now all of the sudden it’s happening quite often. At least everyone was safely returned to the ground. When reading this, one question that I thought of is it said that the wildlife managers at the airport didn’t detect any activity, what kind of radar system do they have to be able to tell if there are birds flying in the area, or if they have a system that keeps them away from the area also?
    erikajunge

Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit Empty Re: Flight lands safely in New Orleans after bird hit

Post  erikajunge Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:52 am

wow, rideing on planes is scary enough these days, but when planes are getting broken from running into birds- then that's even more scary! I have no idea what I would do if that happened, those birds must be pretty large to be breaking the planes engine and everything. You would think the bird would definatley fly out of the planes direction to not be hit.. but appearently not. Good thing no deaths have occured from these incidents.. because who knows what will happen if it does. Animal patrol people probley wont be too happy either.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:26 pm