English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies

CoryHearns

Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies Empty Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies

Post  CoryHearns Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Can drinking a cup of coffee every morning while pregnant be harmful to an unborn fetus? Most would say no, but if you asked them if drinking alcohol was bad they should agree, why the difference? The article that I found this week coincidently directly related to my research journal as well as to the thesis from my so what essay. I was researching the effects that caffeine can have on a person that they just might not be well informed enough to anticipate. The article deals with the study that women who drink even as little as one cup of coffee a day can put serious risks of low birth weight babies if they drink during their pregnancy. I thought the most interesting part of this was how quickly the British Food Standards Agency responded to these results, as they are already changing their recommended allowance of caffeine for pregnant women. If only people could get more informed about the negative effects that caffeine can have problems like low birth weight can be avoided. If something as small as a cup of coffee can have as much negative influence on the health of a child it is scary that maybe there are other things that have previously been considered okay to do during pregnancy that could actually be very harmful to the child. It is good that studies are still being conducted about what can hinder a healthy pregnancy so that birth problems can be avoided more thoroughly. Pregnant people just need to hear more about the dangers that caffeine can have so that they can make positive choices for their child.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025838.html
    ashleyoglesby

Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies Empty Re: Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies

Post  ashleyoglesby Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:29 pm

When I was pregnant, the doctors told me not to drink any fluids that had caffeine in it. They said caffeine could cause a brain affect towards the baby. But I am not a caffeine drinker anyway. My doctors always told me to drink a lot of water. But the way that people drink coffee not is just way too much. It’s a bad habit that it’s hard to break especially when some is pregnant. I know a couple of college students that got pregnant, and they said that the hardest thing to do was stop drinking coffee every morning, because they need that extra boosted in the morning. Not having that boosted was had on their working life.
    reneeczekai

Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies Empty Re: Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies

Post  reneeczekai Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I didn't know that drinking coffee when you are pregnant is not good for you. And could cause low birth weight.you are right if pregnant women knew/had more information on this it wouldn't be a big surprise when you first hear about it. you are also right that if coffee can do this to you what other things could do it or make it worst and you not knowing.
    TerynSwan

Prenatal Caffeine Consumption Linked to Low Birth Weight Babies Empty prenatal caffeine consumption linked to low birth weight babies

Post  TerynSwan Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Wow this is really amazing to me....I had no idea that caffeine could affect an unborn child in this way. I drink coffee on a daily basis and I nevefr would have thought that it would have made a difference on if my child was born at a healthy weight or not. I'm really interested in this now and I would like to read this article and get more details on this topic. I'm just glad that I heard about this issue before I decide to have children. This way I will be aware of what I could be doing to my child.
    courtniesanmiguel

Post  courtniesanmiguel Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:46 pm

It is really sad that a family gather could end like that since whenever I have a family gathering I want it to end happy, not sad. It would be really horrible if a tragedy like this happened in my family, I don’t know what I would do if anyone in my family got murdered. You are right that things like this happen all the time and sometimes family members don’t ever find out what happened and aren’t able to be at peace with what happened. I did not see this article when ever I was searching. I don’t have cable or anything so I don’t get caught up on the news except on here.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 am