English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death

HeatherClayton

WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death Empty WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death

Post  HeatherClayton Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:34 am

WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death In Own Home

A 93-year-old man froze to death in his own that he had lived in for years. After owing more than $1,000 in electricity bills the municipal power company would not let the man receive electricity for anything. An autopsy was what determined Schur had died for hypothermia, a condition when body temperature falls below what is required for normal metabolism and bodily functions. Hands become numb and the person affected loses the ability to perform tasks with their hands. The medical examiner who had done the autopsy said that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia. Neighbors and friends are wondering how anyone could let this happen. One neighbor who lived across the street from Schur is angry that the city didn’t personally notify the man about the situation. Another neighbor of Schurs, Herndon, said that Schur had the intention of paying the utility bills because he had noticed a utility bill on Schur’s kitchen table that had a large about of money clipped to it. Herndon also stated that when he found out it was hypothermia that killed Schur he had a bunch of feelings going through him. He said that there is anger for the city and the electrical company who had let this happen. Dr. Kanu Varani said that he personally had never seen a person die of hypothermia while being indoors. Bay City officials have stated that changes are happening to make sure that another instance like this does not happen again. Meanwhile the situation is still under investigation.
    k-augustine

WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death Empty man froze to death

Post  k-augustine Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:00 pm

I can’t help but feel sorry for the individual who had to die such a painful death. If I remember correctly he was in his 90’s. It makes you wonder where his family was if he had any. Was he of sound mind meaning did he have a disease called alziehmers or dementia often seen in the elderly? If the neighbors are so concerned now where were they before? I agree the power company should have made physical contact with the consumer but they can’t be held responsible completely. How are they to know each individuals circumstances. I hope I don’t sound to cold but their comes a time where we all need to take responsibility. I don’t all the circumstances surrounding this case so it’s easy to be judgmental I believe.
    pamelanadzan

WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death Empty Re: WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death

Post  pamelanadzan Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:11 pm

I think that as neighbors we are responsible for the elderly. I go to see an elderly woman and use to clean her house. I haven't been there in some time due to the weather, car problems, school, kids, etc. I have a lot of excuses but that doesn't mean that I can't just call and check up on her. I believe that we are all our "brothers keepers." I mean what happened to this man's relatives? Did he even know his neighbors? I believe the electric company should not have put a block on his electricity until they spoke with him face to face, but I think there are more to blame here. I just know what I'm going to do now. I'm going to make that phone call.

I did give a call to my elderly friend Evelyn. She said that she had almost ran out of natural gas for heating the previous week.but luckily a neighbor stopped by to check up on her.

Last edited by pamelanadzan on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WillyAnderson

Post  WillyAnderson Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I too have heard the story on the news about the 93 year old man who pretty much froze to death in his own home. It seems like everyone wants to pass the buck and blame it on someone else. I agree with the previous post, where was his family? I know my grandparents weren’t left more than a few days at a time without being checked up on and they weren’t even close to the age of 93. The neighbors they found him…if they had access to his home why not check up on him sooner. The electric company could have let him know personally also. I think this situation shows how important it is to stick together as friends, family and as a community. If most of the people in this situation would have taken an extra 10 minutes to make a phone call or an extra stop on the way home from work this might have been prevented. Hopefully this is something people can learn from.
    TerynSwan

WW2 Veteran Freezes to Death Empty response to article

Post  TerynSwan Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 pm

This was also a shcking topic to me. When I heard about this man not being able to afford his electricity bill, I was flabbergasted. You would think there is laws against your people doing this to you, espeically in the winter. If he was not informed of these outstanding bills, then it should not have been turned off. It doesnt seem fair that even if he would have paid his bill, that he wouldnt have gotten his electricity back, de to how long he went without paying. This just doesnt seem fair to me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 am