English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

Two million jobs lost so far in 2009

HeatherClayton

Two million jobs lost so far in 2009 Empty Two million jobs lost so far in 2009

Post  HeatherClayton Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Two million jobs lost so far in 2009

In this article is says that unemployment has reached a 25 year high. There have been 2 million jobs lost just in the past 3 months. There were 663,000 jobs cut from companies last month and there is a forecast of 658,000 jobs to be lost this month. Even if the U.S. doesn't cut any more jobs for the next 9 months 2009 alone would still be the 4th worst year for job losses. The biggest monthly job loss in that last 59 years was just this past January with a loss of 741,000 jobs. It is said that many of the layoffs that were announced in recent months have yet to take place. There is hope that by May or June there will only be between 300,000-400,000 jobs lost. Employers have actually begun to cut temporary workers from companies. They are even starting to cut the total hours that employees work during the week. The number of temporary workers that were cut is 72,000 in the month of March, which took the amount of temporary workers in the entire work force to the lowest it’s been since 1994. Cutting temporary workers and hours is a sign that employers are trying to come up with better solutions to cut labor costs than to lay of the actual employees. It is said that when the length of the average work week along with how many temporary workers are working again it will be a sign that the labor market is getting ready to turn around.
    tsugden

Two million jobs lost so far in 2009 Empty Re: Two million jobs lost so far in 2009

Post  tsugden Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 pm

It seems like all you hear about anymore is companies laying people off or cutting jobs completely. I hope that companies keep finding better ways to cut costs then simply letting go of employees, the temp job cuts are a good start I think. I know a lot of friends and family have been hit hard by all these cuts and I'm sure everyone that reads this has heard of at least one person that has been affected. It's interesting to finally see some solid numbers and it's crazy to think that almost a million jobs were lost in just one month alone. I really hope the economy starts turning around soon.
    brandonking01

Two million jobs lost so far in 2009 Empty Job Losers

Post  brandonking01 Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm

It is sad to see all of these jobs being lost. I also believe that is it sad to see someone who is unskilled, uneducated and lazy making 45 dollars an hour. I believe that many more people will lose their jobs. It sucks but it’s the truth. How these people handle losing their job will determine what their future holds. There is a law called the NO WORKER LEFT BEHIND ACT. It is paying for these job losers to get an associate degree and paying their wages while they do it. I have had four of my family members lose their jobs now and all of them are going to school for free, getting paid, and collecting food stamps and free medical. While I on the other am building a mountain of debt, have no insurance and pay for my own food.
    reneeczekai

Two million jobs lost so far in 2009 Empty Re: Two million jobs lost so far in 2009

Post  reneeczekai Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 pm

That's so crazy. My brother owns a business and he recently had to cut back on materials and employees. He understands that they need this job but he can't keep the business up and running if he has more employers than needed. He works on computers, sell new ones, and has wireless internet. He just doesn't have enough customers to keep everything going so he cut back on things. It doesn't help that his business is in a small town either. I have been looking for a job for quite awhile now and still nothing, it's hard to find places where I live to work around my school schedule because they need you when they want you to come and if you can't then touch luck I guess.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:33 am