English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay

HeatherClayton

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay Empty 867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay

Post  HeatherClayton Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:13 pm

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay

The phone number that many people know as "Jenny's number" is for sale on eBay as of Monday morning. The actual phone number, not the song. The seller? A 28-year-old DJ named Spender Potter. Spencer admits to receiving about 40 calls a day since the day he plugged the phone jack in the wall. This same phone number is active in many different area codes and people call the number all the time. Usually Potter lets the calls go through to his voicemail but three years ago he answered one of the calls and it ended up being a girl named Jenny who had been using the phone number to give to guys that she wasn’t attracted to at bars. Potter had been using the phone number for his business and although he does not own the line himself, Vonage gave him permission to transfer it as part of the sale for his business. Right now the bid for the phone is at $5,100 but by the end of the auction (Monday the 9th) Potter hopes to make at least $40,000 off of it.
    I always thought that this number wasn’t a real number but it turns out that there are a bunch of them all over. The main and actual number being placed in Potters hands. This number is based in Weehawken NJ. I think it is cool that he got permission to do this but I think he isn’t really paying attention to the fact that this number is used in a bunch of other area codes and he might be feeling like his is the only one.
    WillyAnderson

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay Empty Re: 867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay

Post  WillyAnderson Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:24 am

867-5309 that’s all that had to be said and now I got that song stuck in my head. I’ll be singing it all day! Well anyway I think that it is crazy how many calls he gets a day just from a song that came out way back in the day! My question though is why is he selling this number? And why are people spending ridiculous amounts of money on a phone number? With our economy the way it is I could think of a massive amount of better things people could spend their money on. I understand that it was a popular song, but I myself wouldn’t go this far for a phone number!
    brandonking01

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay Empty 8672309

Post  brandonking01 Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:10 pm

TOMMY TU-TONE! I love that song. Its funny how that song was wrote. He said that some girl named Jenny gave him her number to give to his bass player after a gig they played. So they wrote her number on the bathroom wall then wrote the song about her. Who hasn’t sung this song at a bar? It’s a classic karaoke song. Everyone sings along when this song comes on. I think that it’s funny that the person who has this phone number is using this publicity to sell his business. It could be a good thing that he has this number. He claims to get 40 calls a day. If it was some type of sales business, those calls alone could be potential sales. However, it could just be a bunch of drunken retards calling in to mess around.
    TerynSwan

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay Empty phone number on sale on ebay

Post  TerynSwan Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:19 pm

I didn't realize that this number was actually a working number anymore. I knew that the song existed awhile ago, but for people to still be making calls to this number from so long ago is crazy. I just don't understand how this person is able to sell this number on ebay to other people. What makes this number so special anymore that so many people would want it. Normally numbers are placed on certain areas of the world, and are only for those given areas. Now they have where you can keep your cell phone number when you change phone companies, but this is still staying in the same given area of the country, or world.

Sponsored content

867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay Empty Re: 867-5309 phone number for sale on eBay

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:41 pm