English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

"Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie"

CoryHearns

"Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie" Empty "Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie"

Post  CoryHearns Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 pm

The article I read was concerned with the problems with the economic stimulus package as related to education. It is scary how many cuts are being made in the school districts across the nation, it seems like more should be done to help keep teachers in their positions. Richard Hess of the American Enterprise Institute actually believes that money should be spent on new technology or computer labs that will supposedly help in the long run. That would be okay if we wanted our children to get taught solely by computers, which is no way to learn. Letting people who are involved and really know what could help a school should be in charge of the funding. Letting political figures mandate what gets money and what doesn’t is ludicrous as important programs are getting cut. Even in my hometown the art and math programs are facing cuts and the art staff may even by downsized to only a small handful of teachers. What I loved about school was the diversity of the learning, and the teachers, not how fast the science lab computers were. Cutting these important programs may be what causes the downfall of the American education system. It just baffles me how 46 states will already be experiencing extreme budget cuts and downsizing by next spring. Just thinking that the children who eventually will run the country are not getting the full education they deserve scares me. Education should not be getting the brush off that it is receiving, letting our schools slip this far into trouble will only hurt the country in the long run.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100069780

Cory Hearns
    pamelanadzan

"Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie" Empty "Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie"

Post  pamelanadzan Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:35 am

It is always a shame when cuts are made in things that would benefit children. It has been shown that classes such as music, art, and recess are good for the cognitive development of the child. Computers are almost a necessity in today’s world, as I have learned going back to school and could eventually lead to the ability to eliminate the need for textbooks one day. This would be one way to save money, and it would save our children’s backs because the books are so heavy. Teachers will always be needed. I believe that they should teach a conservation program in school. I am always baffled by the waste in paper and unnecessary field trips. I would much rather have my children go on a field trip to the park for a picnic than to Cedar Point, for instance. It is far less costly and by far safer. I also believe that in times like these we all need to make sacrifices, but it is where the sacrifices are made that is important.
    k-augustine

"Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie" Empty Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie

Post  k-augustine Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:12 pm

The stimulus package is such a topic in the news right now. Everywhere you go people are talking about it. Everyone has an opinion on what and where the stinulus money should be used for. I do believe schools should be one of the first areas that should be getting some of that money. Our schools is the best investment for our future I believe. Our children are our future what and how we teach them is what they become. Whether its via computer or textbook education should be frontline for stimulus money. Maybe they could hand some money over to us old folks that are returning to college. Laughing

Sponsored content

"Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie" Empty Re: "Some Oppose Giving Schools Slice Of Stimulus Pie"

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:13 pm