English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" Named Official Oklahoma Rock Song

CoryHearns

The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" Named Official Oklahoma Rock Song Empty The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" Named Official Oklahoma Rock Song

Post  CoryHearns Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:47 pm

The Flaming Lips, a band that formed in Oklahoma and rose to brief stardom in the early nineties with the one-hit wonder "She Don't Use Jelly" now have been voted in as the state of Oklahoma's official rock song. I thought this article was really cool because the Flaming Lips have been one of my favorite bands for a long time and I have been religiously following their career and researching their history. It is impressive that a band fronted by a man who in his teen years worked at a long john silvers to make enough money to record music were able to beat out Elvis Presley for the honor of state rock song. It's really awesome that something that reflects the subculture of avid Lips fans that live in Oklahoma banding together to get their heroes honored forever. About a year ago the band got a street (Flaming Lips Alley) in Oklahoma City named after them, and now they have another relic of the states culture to their name. The band is fresh off the summer release of their independent science fiction fantasy film, “Christmas On Mars” which they had been working on for over 7 years. For the past few Halloween seasons they have also organized the “March Of 1,000 Flaming Skeletons” where volunteers dress up as skeletons and join the band members in a torch-bearing march down the streets of the capital. Oklahoma should be proud that their own “fearless freaks” are finally getting some recognition.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/149498-the-flaming-lips-do-you-realize-named-official-oklahoma-rock-song
    courtniesanmiguel

The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" Named Official Oklahoma Rock Song Empty Re: The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" Named Official Oklahoma Rock Song

Post  courtniesanmiguel Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Wow, I really like the Flaming Lips a lot too but I did not have a clue that they had a song chosen to be the state song of Oklahoma! I did not even know there was a street named after them either! I guess I need to do more research on the bands I like…but I saw the film you were talking about, Christmas on Mars. I watched it at the music festival in Chicago, Lollapalooza. It was a really crazy experience. Maybe you should go to it sometime. You probably have never heard of it before but it is very fun! Anyways, you picked a very interesting article. Good job.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:26 pm