English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps

dianekerkau

USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps Empty USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps

Post  dianekerkau Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:14 pm

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29042931/

As a result of a photo of Olympic gold medalist, Michael Phelps caught smoking a marijuanna pipe, USA Swimming has suspended him for three months. In addition, the sport's national governing body has also cut off any further financial support and Kellogg has decided not to renew his contract as a sponsor. This was done to let Phelps know that he has disappointed so many people and hurt himself as an athlete. He has also let down thousands of young swimmers who looked up to him and viewed him as a role model. It was reported that he was at a college party during his break where his poor judgment got him in trouble. In light of everything, Phelps does accept the decisions made with regard to suspension and that he will try to earn back everyone's trust. He also states that he will use this time to get himself back in to shape and get ready for his competition in May. He has to realize that every decision he makes not only affects himself, but his family and millions of fans and young people that look up to him. I would assume that this was probably the hardest thing that he will have to endure and hopefully, can come back on top.
    tylerhenige

USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps Empty Reply

Post  tylerhenige Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Michael Phelps made a big mistake by smoking a marijuana pipe. As an athlete, and pretty much a celebrity he has to know that many youngsters are looking up to him. Now that he has made a mistake he has to not only stay in shape physically, but he has to work mentally to keep out of trouble. As a celebrity he has to know that eyes and paparazzi are always going to be watching no matter where or when. I hope that he can get back to his old ways and can represent the United States of America in the next Olympics.
    CoryHearns

USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps Empty Re: USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps

Post  CoryHearns Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am

I really don’t see what the big deal about this is. Would it be the same story if he got caught drinking a beer? There is such a strong resentment in the media towards marijuana just because it is illegal, I personally don’t think any less of him for doing it. He may be a role model, but he is still human, and it’s definitely not like he went advocated smoking while accepting his medals. It just is too bad that his great accomplishments are being forgotten just because he accidently got caught doing something that some people think is so awful.
    erikajunge

USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps Empty Re: USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps

Post  erikajunge Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:41 am

Wow that really sucks for micheal. I hadn't heard about this current event so i'm glad i just read it. It's too bad though that he can't peacefully 'party' and do his own thing without being photographed and critized about everything. He knew though how well people adore and look up to him, so it was his own lack of judgement for smokeing the marijuana in view of someone. I think its a little rediculous that he lost Kellogg's sponsership along with a suspension from swimming. I mean everybody parties. He's just trying to live a regular life, but is now being frowned upon. Hopefully things all work out for him!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm