English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

Michael Phelps' marijuana use

reneeczekai

Michael Phelps' marijuana use Empty Michael Phelps' marijuana use

Post  reneeczekai Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:40 pm

A 14-time gold medalist heralded as classic Americana ramming into a photo at a party with a bong. Because sports permeates everything, those keen on the marijuana issue all along have seen the case of Phelps and his multitudinous corporate sponsors as a gauge of the American mood circa 2009. Quiet ruled for days. Then Thursday, Kellogg's halted its sponsorship of Phelps, finding his behavior "not consistent with the image of Kellogg's," the 103-year-old Michigan cereal titan. Subway, another sponsor, opted for censure but not discontinuance. Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals in Beijing, said it "was bad and stupid judgment," and something he'll "always live with." Kellogg Co., which put Phelps' picture on several brands of its cereal, has said it won't renew the deal that expires later this month. But Subway announced Friday it will retain Phelps as a spokesman. Phelps said. "I know with all of the mistakes I made, I learned from them and that is what I expect to do from this. It just shows that people do things without thinking and considering what their consequences would be. People do pretty dumb things just because they think that can get away with it or not get caught. At least he knows that he lost a good sponsorship and is understanding why he did and like he said “it’s something he’ll always live with.”http://www.wnem.com/sports/18636219/detail.html

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:13 pm