English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Adultery in Michigan a felony

pamelanadzan

Adultery in Michigan a felony Empty Adultery in Michigan a felony

Post  pamelanadzan Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1169200945617

Attorney General Mike Cox, who admittedly had an affair in 2005, was not charged even though adultery is still a crime under Michigan law. As Judge William B. Murphy of the Michigan Court of Appeals defines it "any time a person engages in sexual penetration in an adulterous relationship ... he or she is guilty of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.” In Michigan, adultery is punishable with life in prison, though no one has been convicted since 1971. On the Free Press website people commented that adultery ruins lives, that there should be a punishment for it, but that there aren’t enough jails for all of the adulterers. I believe that there should be a consequence for something that ruins so many lives. It causes financial ruin to families, depression and suicide in many cases, behavioral problems in children including drug and alcohol abuse, and a decline in morals in society. Many children in a family that has been broken apart by an adulterous affair grow up to demonstrate the same behavior. I don’t think that something so devastating and so prevalent should be swept under the rug. Life in prison is a little strict, but I believe that there should be a deterrent to extramarital relations. Maybe if there was a fine, community service, and something similar to the amber alert system someone would think twice before committing such a selfish and self-indulgent act. Maybe then it would not seem so attractive if a person knew there would be consequences ahead of time.
    michellewalker

Adultery in Michigan a felony Empty Amber alert for adulterers

Post  michellewalker Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Now there is a really cool thought. Idea Of course, after due course of the law to determine that the person was in fact an adulterer. I personally think the the old fashion scarlet letter would be good! How about a semi permanent tatoo on the forehead. Say, something that would wear off after a year or so. That would make it alot harder for the affairs to continue without the other party involved being aware. I love this idea!

I did no know that it was a felony in the state that was punishable by life in prison, but that, like many laws from the past is no longer heeded. (I think that you are also still required by law to honk your horn when entering Detroit.)

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm