English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Michigan cities list 1,200-project stimulus wish list

HeatherClayton

Michigan cities list 1,200-project stimulus wish list Empty Michigan cities list 1,200-project stimulus wish list

Post  HeatherClayton Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Michigan cities list 1,200-project stimulus wish list

Everyone has had plenty of time to think about how the money that is being given to Michigan should be spent. Michigan is expected to get around $6.9 billion and the wish list of people throughout Michigan is said to cost about $3.3 billion. This article says that it will be spent on relocating Adrian City Hall, moving a train station, and building a new Cedar Springs library. It also states that the money will be spent on road repairs, bridges repairs, energy conservation, and sewer and water system projects. Personally I think moving a city hall isn't worth spending the money that we actually need for other things. Road repairs...okay I guess but is the money actually going to be spent on the roads that really need to be fixed or will it go to the roads and highways that have construction on them every 6 months? What doesn’t surprise me is how many people commented on this article because they were upset with the decisions on how the money will be spent. I do think that libraries are important to have but why do we need to spend more than $2 million to build it when that money could be put towards something like funding for schools. There needs to be something done with jobs or employment. Some of that money could be going towards that instead of all of these things that we do basically every 6 months any way. I understand that there will be money left over in the end but probably won’t ever know where that money is going. I guess all you can do is trust the government.
    Sethobrien

Michigan cities list 1,200-project stimulus wish list Empty Response to MI wish list

Post  Sethobrien Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 am

I am surprised to hear that they want to move a city hall. I know that it will give the people involved with moving the city hall a job, but I think that they could use that money for something more important, or something that is more of a need. I also don’t understand why they would want to build a new library right now. I don’t know if this city/town is in the same position as the tri-city area, but in this area we are closing libraries. If they are in this position maybe it would be a good idea to just reopen an old library. I think that fixing the roads is a good idea, but we’ll see if they actually fix the ones that need to be fixed. In our area, they just redid or added to a portion of I75 that wasn’t the worst part of the interstate. On my way to work everyday I have to drive on I75, and the part that is in Saginaw right before the downtown Saginaw exit is really bad. There are a lot of pot holes and cracks in the road. It makes for a really bumpy ride, and who knows what it does to your car. I guess we will have to wait and see what actually gets done with the money.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 11:49 pm