English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

Immigrants Identity Theft Case Reaches Supreme Court

brandonking01

Immigrants Identity Theft Case Reaches Supreme Court Empty Immigrants Identity Theft Case Reaches Supreme Court

Post  brandonking01 Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:08 pm

On Wednesday the Supreme Court will hear a case about an immigrant for Mexico who committed identity theft in order to work under a false alias. The immigrant was working in Chicago under someone else’s name and social security number. He was doing this for six years when for some reason he decided to start using another name that he purchased off someone who sells stolen identities. He attempted to have his information changed with his employer and that’s when his employer became suspicious. The employer call authorities and that’s when they found out what he was doing. What they are going to argue in the Supreme Court is the harshness of the penalty. There was a law passed in 2004 that strengthened penalties for identity thieves that tried to drain people’s bank accounts and run up their credit. What is being argued is that this man and others like him were just trying to make a living, not destroy anyone’s credit. The man pled guilty to a lesser sentence under the stipulation that he wouldn’t contest deportation. If you ask me I say throw the book at him and then throw him out of our country. In my opinion he is just as guilty as the criminals who steal people’s money and credit. Who cares that he was just trying to work. There are laws to follow and people who come to our county and break those laws should not be allowed in it, or be allowed to ever come back.
    God bless America!

Supreme Court Identity Theft Case

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:45 pm