English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

California Drought May Raise Vegetable Prices

erikajunge

California Drought May Raise Vegetable Prices Empty California Drought May Raise Vegetable Prices

Post  erikajunge Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Lack of rain compounded by changes in routing water to farmers

The current drought occurring in California is not going well for anybody.
    Farmers and their families are increasingly losing money for their crops. Not only are the farmers losing valuable income over the drought, but since there will be less fruits and vegetables – especially lettuce being grown, the price for these items will increase. Once the price increases, stores will have to sell the fruits and vegetables at higher prices, making consumers have to spend more. In return not only will grocery stores have to sell items at a higher price, but restaurants and any food companies that use the food or lettuce for ingredients will have to pay more, then charge more, and the average meal for someone will once again go up for the paying customer.
    In addition to the prices of fruits and vegetables having to increase because of the drought, one of the main freshwater estuary’s that contributes to the growth of crops has been cut back and not as much water is now being allowed to be used for the farmers. One of the main reasons for this is because the massive pumps are pushing a native fish into extinction. Changes are starting to be done to allow different paths for the water to be run into the fields, so wine grapes, almonds and pistachio trees can still stand a chance at surviving this drought.
    It’s crazy how because of a simple thing as rain pouring out of clouds, the lack of it can lead to such disastrous mishaps. Since lettuce can’t be grown, prices will increase, people will get upset, fish are going extinct, which leads to more upset people, and nobody likes it!

afro
    michellewalker

California Drought May Raise Vegetable Prices Empty Rain in California

Post  michellewalker Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 am

I have not done a lot of research on the drought in California as you have. I know that the impact that we all feel is in the checkout line at the grocery store.

It is a shame that with technology what it is today, we would not be able to find some way to assist our crops and not impact the fragile environment. I think that part of the problem is that we have forced the environment to change using artificial means to create an environment that would produce produce (not repeating myself.) We have essentially taken and area that was by nature arid and dry and forced it to be an ideal place to grow fruits etc.

I don't know the answer, I only seem to be able to contribute more questions.

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm