English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

Hero found at McDonald's

michellewalker

Hero found at McDonald's Empty Hero found at McDonald's

Post  michellewalker Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Video of McDonald's Shooting

Please watch the video clip. This shows a very brave 22 year old employee of McDonalds, Nigel Haskett. Nigel Haskett came to the rescue of a patron at McDonald's when a man came in and assaulted her. The man slaps the woman in the face and Nigel places himself between the man and woman and pushes the man out the door.

When Nigel returns to the restaurant, he appears to be out of breath. He is in fact shot, and collapses to the floor.

Now, the insurance company is refusing to pay the costs of his care because he acted outside the scope of his employment. The insurance company states that the employee was not encouraged to act in this manner, and therefore there is no reason to pay his bills.

The owner of this restaurant has stated that he will pay the young man's bills, but first he has to allow the appeals process for the insurance company. Meanwhile, the young man needs ongoing care and possible further surgeries and there is no guarantee he can pay for it.

I applaud the owner for standing up for Nigel. I applaud Nigel for standing up for the young woman. I think that these days, we need to care more for one another and do less turning a blind eye when things aren't right. The lawyers and the insurance companies unfortunately make it very scary to stand up for what is right.

Good Job Nigel!
    dianekerkau

Hero found at McDonald's Empty Re: Hero found at McDonald's

Post  dianekerkau Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm

The insurance is right in one thing, Nigel did not have to step in and help that girl and it was not part of his duties as an employee of McDonalds, but he did do the right thing and now he is being punished for it. I guess the question to ask the insurance company would be, what if Nigel didn't step in and the fight between that man and the girl escalated and he started shooting everyone in the restaurant, then what? Who would be responsible for that? I think the reason why they don't pay is because of the large amount of his medical bills. It is good on the otherhand that the owner of that McDonalds is going to step up and pay it for him. That day could have ended in a very different way and because of Nigel, a hero in a sense, it didn't. There definitely should be more people like him, who thought nothing of himself and the fact that he may get hurt to save someone who he didn't even know. Definitely a good title for this... "what would you do?"
    Sethobrien

Hero found at McDonald's Empty Response to Hero at mcdonalds

Post  Sethobrien Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 am

First I would like to say that it is horrible that a man would attack a young lady. I kknow that the world is getting worse, but it is said when it is getting so bad that we are unable to go to mcdonalds. I also feel that it is sad and doesn't say much for the insurance company seeings as how they would not pay for this young mans hospital bills. They are just being cheap and trying to save money. This man was shot while at work to protect a customer. The owner of the store seems to be a very nice and understanding person. It's a good thing that the young man who took the bullet for the young lady is going to have some help in paying off the debt that he will surly be in from being shot. I bet that many people that would be put in the position would choose not to help someone in need, not because they do not care, but because they are worried that they will not be able to get medical coverage to pay for their hospitalization. People are getting desperate for money, and anything that could lead to getting money. I am willing to bet that this is not going to be the last time that we will hear of people being assaulted, but maybe the last time we hear of such heroism.
    CoryHearns

Post  CoryHearns Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 pm

That is an amazing story, the fact that someone actually stood up for someone they didn’t even know in this day and age is surprising. These days if someone is in trouble they usually get no help because most people assume someone else will help them. It is really unfair for the manager to have to pay for it and mcdonalds wont, they are one of the richest organizations in country and they can’t help out someone who got attacked in their business? Hopefully this man gets all the help that he can with his medical bills because he truly is a hero.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:21 pm